Now I am kicking myself again for not going with my gut instinct.
I went in to see the girls as normal this morning and could hear Rosie from all the way across the room - hooting. She has not hooted since she first went on heart meds. Not only that but her breathing is... not noisy but I can see the effort, her sides are flaring out as if she has a case of the hiccups rather than just breathing. We gave her her meds as normal, it's not like she was overdue them or anything at all, and now I am totally panicking.
What do I do to stop her hooting and harder breathing? Does she need something to fix her and what is it? I won't hesitate to take her to the emergency vets but I need to know what to do to fix her in case they don't.
The emergency vet is out at a farm atm but will be back within the hour, we're monitoring Rosie for now. She seems perfectly happy now she has had her lasix/furosemide but I'm worried about what caused it. I think a vetmedin/Pimobendan trial is definitely in order.
- I GAVE, dammit!
I do hope it will do the job.
Some pigs seem to need the maximum dose of lasix at 5mg/kg twice daily, but this is usually pretty rare and only when they're in CHF.
What dose is she on now?
Check her nose and lips to see if she's at all blue. She may need oxygen, which would be the one reason to get her to a vet. (If she has black skin you can't see this, of course).
I doubt xrays will tell you anything, but they might show excess fluid.
We're still waiting to hear back from the emergency vet but Rosie is doing a lot better at the moment which is a great relief. Her breathing is back to normal and she's behaving just like normal really.
I'm going to ask the vet for vetmedin and trial her on that alongside her two normal meds. I'll ask about x-rays but I'm pretty sure the local vets still don't do x-rays without sedation, but good vet will do it when we see him which hopefully will be this week.
I'm all stressed out while Rosie is popcorning in her pen!
So pretty close to the maximum which isn't good. It is working but my concern is what has caused her to need the maximum dose again. Hopefully the vet will hand over the vetmedin and we can start her on the minimum dose of that as well.
She is on 1.25mg of lotensin twice daily so with her weight that's 0.96mg/kg. She's about 50-75g overweight again at the moment, she always puts weight on when something is wrong, so normally it is pretty much bang on 1mg/kg.
What is the dose for vetmedin/Pimobendan do you know? Hopefully I'm not barking up the wrong tree thinking that is the answer.
Okay, I'm gonna demand for the vetmedin and try that and I'll keep the lasix on the higher side for now and start reducing it when I can. The lasix has definitely helped her in this short term, the only noises she's making now are all the grumblings about being lifted out and fussed over so much.
Thank you so much Mum, you've stopped me panicking quite so much, at least I know what to say to the vet now :)
The emergency vet still hasn't got in touch, I dread to think what kind of emergency it must have been at that farm. The vets opens anyway at 6pm so we're going to head along early and get her seen in about 45 minutes time. Rosie is so grumpy at us already, she's not going to be pleased, heh.
Rosie has some fluid in her right lung and the vet thought her heart was a little worse than it had been previously. Hopefully the new meds will do the trick, and I will keep her on the higher dose of lasix/furosemide for now to get rid of that fluid.
Rosie was very good at the vets as always, sexy legging in her box and munching her hay while demanding pettings :)
I'll keep you updated on her progress with the Vetmedin added to her usual drug cocktail - thank you so much to everyone here for the advice and support once again, I honestly don't know what I, and Rosie!, would do without you all :)