Managing Cervical Lymphadenitis (lumps)

Avogadro

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:28 pm

Hello, I have one short-haired, male guinea pig, that is approximately 8 mos old. Around Thanksgiving, I found two lumps directly under his neck, (one was quite large). So, I took him to the vet and he was put on SMZ/TMP liquid antibiotic (not sure of its technical name). This didn't work, so the vet tried draining them with a followup of more SMZ-TMP in the middle of December. The lumps almost went completely away, but then suddenly remerged last week, rather quickly(He's been on the antibiotic the whole time). I called the vet to see if there was any other kind of antibiotic we could try because I'm having some real reservations about surgery to remove the lymphatic tissue. Mainly financially, but it also seems that it would be a lot for the little guy to go through (although he is in perfect health otherwise). The vet said that if I did surgery it may just come back again. It seems like surgery is just another treatment rather than a cure. She said that the only other choice is euthanasia. As of now, I've been continuing the antibiotic and plain yogurt (at separate times), disinfecting his cage daily (which I've been doing from the start), and supplementing vitamins and a salt wheel. If anyone has any advice about medical rather than surgical treatments or past experience with successful (or unsuccessful) surgeries it would be greatly appreciated. He's a really nice little pig, so I really want to save him if I can.

Thanks!

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:40 pm

Here is some info on CL.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7584

How was your pig diagnosed? I do believe surgical removal has been successful for some pigs and there are other ab's besides bactrim to try. I absolutely would not euthanize at this point.

Vitamin drops and a salt lick are not good for your pig. Make sure your pig is getting a cup of dark leafy green vegetables per day, free fed grass hay, and a qualtiy timothy pellet. It would not hurt to supplement with vitamin C only at this time. 25-50mgs per day.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:48 pm

Baytril is more commonly used for CL, and sometimes chloremphenicol is effective.

Did your vet do a culture and sensitivity? This is crucial.

I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend trying another antibiotic.

As Holly says, CL is very treatable. Surgery is sometimes required, but it really doesn't sound as if your vet is particularly cavy-savvy if he/she is recommending euthenasia.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:57 pm

CL went through about 4 of my pigs over two years ago. All were treated with either Bactrim or Baytril. All are very alive and well today.

Most were treated with Bactrim and came through just fine. Queenie had two lumps (barbells) and needed Baytril (the stronger of the two ABs).

It takes a while but keep up with the ABs and all will be fine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:58 pm

Isn't this a case where cleaning out the infection and daily flushing is an option too? Along with the antibiotics?

Zoe

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:22 pm

I had 2 piggies with this. One was younger. The vet surgically removed them. I kept her in quarantine for a couple of months while she recovered. Because of the neck surgery, she didn't want to eat, so I did a lot of syringe feeding. She did great though and lived a long life after that.

The other piggy was 6 years old at the time and we decide she was too old for surgery. I quarantined her and she was on Baytril forever. The lumps finally did go away. That little piggy lived for a couple more years. I thought I was going to lose her at her advanced age but surprise!

I do remember that it was considered contagious. I would be concerned about just draining them.

Good luck.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:28 pm

Good point. Find out what bacteria it is.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Isn't CL a certain type of strep?

I assumed that the culture and sensitivity had already been done - otherwise how could there have been a diagnosis of CL?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:33 pm

From some site on cervical lymphadenitis: "Refers to inflammation of the lymph glands in the neck. Often occurs secondary to a viral or bacterial (Streptococcus) infection. "

Likely strep but not always.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:46 pm

From what I'd read, CL is more likely to be caused by Group C Strep, my guinea pig, Muffin's culture came back positive for Group A Strep (the strain that causes throat infections in humans).

wilbur1

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:18 am

My little pig who was 653 grams had surgery last Saturday to remove his lumps (CL). He has come thru with flying colors (so far anyway - knocking on wood). He also had two lumps - one larger than the other - the larger one popped just as they were starting the surgery. The Vet who did the surgery didn't suggest flushing but because of multiple comments from this forum I did it anyway. He started eating and drinking the same night of his surgery - and hasn't stopped since. He is a growing little pig. He now weighs 697 grams. He goes back for his follow up visit on Tuesday. The site of his incision looks GREAT!! I flushed for 5 days and now there is a little scab. He was also on Baytril for a week before surgery and has been on it since surgery - only has one more day left - as it's almost gone.

A few days after surgery I was concerned about the small amount of the poops he did and the little urine. But he isn't having any problems now. He is a pooping and a peeing machine - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I was terrified about surgery when the Vet said that was the best way to go, and almost backed out of it. But I am so glad I didn't. Money was an issue with me, too. I had to work some extra hours last week and will again this week to cover the cost of surgery. But it was money well spent.

I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow of my Wilbur (after his surgery and now). He is thriving so much.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:51 am

Good news indeed. I love happy endings.