Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

twofinepigs

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:41 am

From this morning's research on the topic, this is concise and may be of interest. I hate the research, but the information does apply. Quoted briefly, "...indicate that intestinal anaphylaxis in response to milk proteins is persistent and even enhanced during experimental malnutrition." This would seem to say that nutritionally deprived young pigs may be even MORE sensitive to allergic responses to cow's milk based products.

Anaphylactic intestinal response to milk proteins during malnutrition in guinea pigs

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Interesting article. So in this case, the anaphylaxis is a hypersensitivity reaction to the ingestion of milk from prior contact with it while malnurished. I would imagine pups fall in this catagory.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:52 pm

I'm pretty sure worms eat dirt. Just for the record.

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:40 pm

I have been hand feeding all the babies, I have syringed them water with vitamin C, baby milk, Ive syringed green pellets and hand fed them vegetables, fruit and hay. Ok baby milk isnt the best thing in the world for them, this I know, but if its the only nutrition I can get into them even though its not the best what else am I supposed to do I wont watch them die!

The good news is that all the babies are now eating solid food, some more than others but its a start.

I took pixie the weakest one to the vets today and guess what the vet said "theres not much point in treating her shes too young, shes dehydrated". I asked him to at least try so he gave her fluids through her tummy and a vitamin injection. I said earlier my vets are not very good with guinea pigs theres the proof, there was no way I was going to let her die when she was attempting to eat a grape in the waiting room.

Ive got am appontment to take them all in tomorrow and pixie seems a lot better now.

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:48 pm

Oh and Ive noticed another posting on choking and retching.

My babies do that sometimes do you think its cause they are small?

Kermie831

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Please continue to handfeed pixie and the rest of the little ones. They dehydrate very quickly.

Just because she acts better now does not mean she is cured by any means.

(Although not as wonderfully amusing as the worm comments :)) It's like people taking a high blood pressure medication, and stopping it a few weeks later because thier blood pressure is down... and can not wonder why at thier next dr visit they feel awful and thier blood pressure is right back where it was... as stupid as it sounds it is an explanation I hear often.
(So please continue to handfeed Pixie and take her to the vet, she will only get better with you helping her!)

I recently lost a (foster) mom 2 days after her litter was born. We all know it is a LOT of work to keep infants healthy, but everyone is here to help if you are willing to help them. It is so worth it to see them healthy and happy a little while down the road!!!

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:49 pm

I have been trying to get fluids and food into pixie since we came back from the vets, but she keeps spitting everything out and refuses to swallow. She has really gone down hill I dont think she will be here tomorrow

Kermie831

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:06 pm

But the key is, she is not gone yet...

Keep trying, keep fighting, keep trying

Go back to the vet, see if she can get another subq injection for her hydration. Theres the chance fluids may perk her enough to keep eating.

With my babies, my vet sent me home with a iv fluid bag and needles to keep up the fluids if I could not get to him (Bad weather headed our way and my vet is an hour away). B/c my runt refused to eat.

I am an icu nurse and I wish there were the advances in guinea medicine as there are in human medicine. Although I do remember when I was in school my professor had Maine coons, one went into renal failure and she was able to get a g-tube for her cat... Besides a new hatred for the vet, the cat recovered fully!

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:12 pm

no she hasnt gone yet and I am still trying but she is so weak. I wrapped her up as she is starting to get cold most of the time she just lays there then all of a sudden she will get a spurt of energy. I really dont think she will make it but I will never give up trying for her.

I get more upset over babies than older animals, pixie hasnt had a chance to know anything

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:25 pm

You gave her milk - again?

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:27 pm

No Im feeding her water

ellissian

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:28 pm

do u think she must be getting some in cause her resistence is getting stronger