Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

Piggster

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:08 am

I'm so sorry. You did the best you could to help him, but it is so hard when they're that young.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:20 am

Not long after the tiny baby died my other sow went into labour.

The 1st baby was stuck as they were too large I knew I needed to help her and needed some sort of lubricant. In my panic I picked up vegetable oil (thought it would help) and I helped deliver the very large baby be born with each contraction.

Kimmi (Sow) could not deliver the 2nd and last baby so I took her straight to the vets. She managed to delivery it on route but sadly it was still born.

Kimi is doing fine and has accepted the four orphaned babies a her own the problem Im having now though is that they are all covered in vegetable oil. Is it dangerous and should I bath them all?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:29 am

I wouldn't think it was dangerous so much as messy.

You should be able to wipe most of it off.

I don't think you want to bath such tiny babies.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:36 am

You might just use a dry absorbent cloth to wipe the babies. I used mineral on Rod all the time and he was fine. I used it to clean his sac and his ears.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:49 pm

ok then. Do premature babies need more sleep than full term babies

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:29 pm

How much do they weigh?

You're talking about the babies that are 5 days old now, right?

They should be extremely active.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:50 pm

They are a week old tomorrow and weigh between 55 - 65 grams. The baby which was born this morning weighs 130 grams! So they look even smaller than before compared to this huge baby.

I was thinking cause they have been on there own virually all there life and as they have been fed on the wrong food and born early this is why they sleep alot.

We I get them out of the cage they are very active but as soon as I put them back in they fall asleep. Im hoping I will see an improvement in them tomorrow now they have a foster mum and a new sibling with them. They have perked up a bit today but the newborn is slightly more active than them.

When will kimmi s milk come in? They still wont eat dry feed they slightly nibble at hay but you would think I was trying to poison them the way they react

lisam

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:03 pm

She should already be lactating, I believe.

ellissian

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:25 pm

I have been watching them all day and I havent noticed them feeding from her

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:01 pm

Then you must handfeed them.

If they're 'sleeping a lot' then you are going to have to be very aggressive if they're going to have a chance at survival.

Topaz

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:56 pm

Do you think a vet visit is in order? I mean, is it at that point that they're "not looking good"? Maybe that would be your best bet...just a thought. I'm worried about these babies.

Laura

ellissian

Post   » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:32 am

Ive just found out the babies have forgot how to suckle, Ive been trying to latch them on for ages. Ive even tried putting a little bit of milk on her teats but they still wont latch on. Help!!!! what else can I do