Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

Topaz

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:13 am

In my opinion, it would make more sense to be syringing the Critical Care into him. That's chock full of nutrition. And also to be feeding the more nutritious veggies along with that. Are you taking him to the vet to check out the hair loss?

As for the dark leafy greens, you can find red and green leaf lettuce in just about all supermarkets year round. Those are pretty good choices. Endive is usually available as well. You could also cut up some sweet peppers to add to that. They're ALWAYS available.

Laura

ellissian

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:03 am

I took her to the vets on Thursday and the vet said not go back till this Thurday but only go back if the fur is still falling out. There is new fur growing back through today.

I will restart the science recovery today.

She has been eating parsley, broccoli, cucumber, carrots, apples and pears, but she only eats these in small quantities. I have also fed her mixed lettuce leafs, Ive never tried feeding any of my guinea pigs sweet chillis before maybe I should try. She seems to prefer eating her pellets and hay.

Topaz

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:54 am

No, not sweet chili peppers, BELL peppers. You know, red, green, sometimes yellow and orange?

I'm glad to hear her fur is growing back. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:20 am

Capsians, I think there called here. I think I've seen them listed as salad peppers, too.

I'm glad to hear her fur is coming in, too. It would be nice to know what caused it in the first place. Alas, sometimes we never get answers.

Ellissian, can you find heads of lettuce anywhere? (Other than iceberg, cos, and leaf lettuce.) I can only find prepared salad mixes. Once I found a head of frissee.

ellissian

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:05 am

Bethie I can only fine the same as you, the bags of mixed lettuce leaves are expensive but are probable best for them. Are you talking about just normal peppers, I havent tried giving them those.

I wouldnt give them chilli peppers Laura I might be daft but not that daft! Lol

ellissian

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:06 am

Her fur is definatlely growing back though, its strange isnt it?

I dont know what caused it, but as long as she is ok

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:49 am

You can also try a little spring greens, very dark and leafy.

The two surviving pups born from a skinny carrier at Thistle Cavies had their rex baby fur fall out and grow in glossy and smooth.

Another name is Capsicum for the peppers - can be an aquirred taste for some piggies but start with the red rounder ones, not the longer varieties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum

ellissian

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:12 pm

Ive just bought them a big bag of spring greens today, I think I will give the peppers a miss, thanks.

Her fur is definately growing back through, its quite thick but a totally different shade from her original colour.

Its definately a mystery why it fell out. The fur around her neck is thinning, but new hair is growing though underneath.

Do you think it could of been stress related?

klynne

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:09 pm

Be sure you still wash that bagged salad stuff very thoroughly--there've been some E. Coli and other health issues associated with those bagged greens.

Becky

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:23 pm

Be careful with the spring greens--those prepackaged ones. They generally are immature leaves and lack the nutrition of more mature plants.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:55 am

Generally the ones you get over here are the whole mature thing, and not prepared.

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:07 am

Red peppers are worth their weight in gold - more VitC than an orange - in fact just LOADS of VitC and other good stuff in them. If you can get the little ones (and mum) accustomed to eating slices of red pepper, it'll be a good addition to their diet throughout their lives. Try it and see!

Could the bald patch on Popcorn be mites? Is there any scratching and have the pigs ever been treated for mites? Mites can lay latent for some time and only take a hold when the piggies are stressed/under the weather, as recently. Just a thought. It could be stress-related. I had two gerbils who developed bald patches when I changed their bedding from peat to sawdust, and the vet said it was the stress of the sudden change.