Maggots on a burst CL lump-gross!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:13 pm

I can tell that there is still a lump under the scab. Poor thing, I assume that it will form up again.
Sorry, you're going to have to pull the scab off and flush the abscess out again.

This happened with Millie when I thought she was almost healed. Luckily, it only needed a couple more days after the scab came off and the crud was flushed out!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Yes, definitely remove the scab and continue flushing as others have mentioned.

Now and then I check in at the right time on my lunch hour!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:37 pm

I like Talishan's advice to have the pet store cover some of the cost of treating this poor little pig.

One caution with ivermectin is that if a parasite dies in an enclosed area, you can have it rot inside the body and cause serious problems and death -- at least this is what happens with bot fly larvae in cows (if I remember right). Intestinal parasites are passed out of the body. Fly larvae don't have anywhere to go and must be carefully removed, as Josephine mentions.

I think these two little pigs are very lucky you're helping them, Barbara!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:45 pm

Poor little thing.
I get the idea that the lady has not even handled the pig before, so that is a good thing you have made the discovery...

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:53 pm

I imagine that a warm compress should help to soften the scab so that it's easier to remove a flush - stay strong!

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 pm

Good idea. I will try that. Thank you.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:08 pm

Thank you for taking care of those poor things. You're so sweet Barbara. Good luck.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:14 pm

Serena, I remember Louie everytime I come to GL.

I picture him as the guide entering all other pigs into the parsley fields forever.

And as the dance instructor of the "cucumber dip."

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:28 pm

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:37 pm

Oh yeah, that was a cute video. Very special for Louie and Serena. I hope this pig makes a full recovery. I really really want you to fight this with Petco.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:38 pm

Thanks Barbara. I miss my little Louie so much and still dream of him a lot. He's the reason I foster now and help out with rescue so much. I'm sure your precious pigs give you that motivation, too.

Gessika

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:04 pm

Oh, that Louie video is the cutest!

Good luck with your little pig Barbara!