mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:07 pm

How are the girls doing?

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:50 pm

Actually, I am at Sandy's right now.

The vet is pressuring her to do the surgery on Snuggles luymp today or within 3 days.

The lump has gone down considerably being on Bactrim for a week. Snuggles is eating well and pooping well. She is very active doing her zoomies in the evening (I know that because she is in my room at night).

I have returned Snuggles and Noodle to Sandy this morning and am taking Mimi and Ginger home with me when I leave Sandy's in a few hours (I still have my bookkeeping to do).

The PETCO paid vet told Sandy how "That lady shouldn't be playing vet." He is really pissed at me.

I am recommending the surgery not be done because the lump has responded so well to Bactrim. And why put this little girl through anesthesia and surgery if she is getting better without it.

The vet says he needs to do the surgery within 3 days or else PETCO won't pay for it.

Sandy is in the middle (between me and the vet) and doesn't know what to do.

So what advice can you guys give her?

She really wants me to present this to you all and know your opinions.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:01 pm

I think a lot depends on how capable the vet really is.

If there's any doubt as to his abilities, then surgery wouldn't really be an option.

On the other hand, if the lump returns then who will look after the pig?

Hard choice.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Jerko vet probably wants to bill Petco for a nice healthy surgery bill.

I'm with you Barbara on going with the Bactrim and seeing if that works first. If the AB's will get rid of it why would you put a pig through unnecessary surgery? I used Bactrim along with Flagyl to get rid of the CL (or lumps that presented CL - no culture or aspiration done) that Snow had previously had. The AB's worked just fine.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:04 pm

Sandy cancelled the vet appointment this afternoon and has decided to keep Snuggles on Bactrim and just watch her.

I offered to take Snuggles to Dr. Katz ( my cavy savy vet) and I'll pay for the surgery if is needed down the road.

The PETCO vet (Dr. Harper) is not cavy savy at all. He told her to make the GP stop eating after midnight before the surgery. I wouldn't want him doing surgery on any of my pigs.

Whew, hopefully this is the end of all the drama and Snuggles will get better and live a long life.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:02 pm

Why the constant pig swapping?

Am I the only one who is lost?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:43 pm

Tell Harper for us that you wouldn't be playing vet if he was one.

I think you are on the right track for now. If Snuggles eventually does need surgery and/or more extensive care from Dr. Katz, pursue it with petno. You make enough noise and they'll cough it up.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:48 pm

We are all "comfused," especially the pigs.

Sandy didn't feel comfortable treating the pigs with AB, and her husband was getting really sick of ill pigs. So I gave her my two girls that I am trying to rehome to see if her girls would prefer them. I took her girls home so I could keep a close eye of them and treat them with ABs.

My two older pigs just sat in their pigloos and the PETCO pigs were more lively. Snuggles is responding to ABs, so I returned them to Sandy today.

Any clearer?

PS: Good Quip Talsihan- very clever (wish I had thought of that one)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:02 pm

Sandy didn't feel comfortable treating the pigs with AB, and her husband was getting really sick of ill pigs.
This doesn't bode particularly well for the future.

I wonder if they should have had the pigs at all, hmm?

I'm betting you'll end up with them in a year or two, of not sooner.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:12 pm

When Sandy first called me a little over a week ago to say that she had bought two pigs from PETCO my first statement was "Oh no, they'll be sick."

My second statement was "I'll probably end of having them."

She thought I was kidding, all of it came to pass much sooner than I ever would have expected.

But they are with Sandy for now.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:52 pm

The cage for Noodle and Snuggles

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Sandy's House