Maggots on a burst CL lump-gross!

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm not good at rehoming pigs. I just end up keeping them all. I get too attached to my pigs, even when I foster them.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:56 am

I hear ya' on the fake fostering :)

I have just read the thread and I have to congratulate you on having such a wonderful and kind heart! Thank you for helping the 3 girls :)

magicmoo

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:33 pm

Thankyou, Barbara for sticking by these pigs for the long haul. You are a kind soul with a big heart. I am in awe of your dedication. I know that I too, will be called upon to take a friends' pigs that were bought to accessorize with a tiny pink pet store cage any day soon. I hope that I will be able to act with the integrity and grace that you have shown.

Pictures? Pretty please?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks for all you've done for these little pigs!

It is such a hard thing to see someone you otherwise like or care about shirk responsibility when it comes to their pets.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:05 pm

I am just relieved. ;-)

I know you tried very hard to get Sandy to do the right thing by these pigs (not to mention sending the right message to her children), but 1) you don't need to lose your job and 2) the pigs are as healthy as they are because you work there. :-p

I'm just now relieved you and PiggyPa now have them.

figrgrl

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:11 pm

I'm so glad I read this thread. Barbara, you are a blessing. I'm kinda in the same place at the moment. One of my clients has a 6 mo. old sow that came from the Malibu Feed Bin. The pig has developed a lump which has ruptured. She took her to a holistic vet who did NOT culture the pus and called another vet in Santa Monica who prescribed Chloramphenicol.
The pig was originally on Baytril for 5 days and then switched to Bactrim and has been on that for a week and a half. She doesn't want to give the Chlor because of the toxicity~she has kids. I'm contemplating taking the pig and treating her. I would of course have to keep her in the garage, which I hate, but I don't want to run the risk of infecting my herd. I have a lot of seniors. I also don't feel the Chlor is the choice without a culture being done. I'm thinking of taking her to my vet in Ventura and doing a culture and see what she says. Any ideas?

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Usually Bactrim is tried before Baytril. I would recommend staying with the AB's but not use the Chloramphenicol at all.

Why can't the mother just keep the pig on the the Bactrim? If she is capable of consistently treating the pig herself then let her continue.

Yes, infection to your herd is a real possiblity. My vet said that the strep infection can even carry on your clothes from one pig to the next.

You are kind to want to save this pig. I would take her in only if the owners are not caring for the pig adequately.

figrgrl

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Thanks Barbara. I'll talk to her tomorrow and see what's happening. I agree w/keeping her on the Bactrim. I think they are all looking for a quick fix and this type of thing doesn't go away overnight.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:08 pm

Ditto Barbara. But we currently have one pig on chlor and the compounding pharmacist that made it basically dismisses the human health concerns commonly posed with it.

He says it used to be used with humans and "one in a million" got sick from it. He says (and he works with this stuff every day) that there are far more toxic and potentially harmful substances out there that are used in human drugs every day of the week.

That's no reason not to take precautions using it, and certainly no reason to be cavalier about it around children. But if chlor is in fact the AB the pig needs, aside from keeping it away from her children (which she of course should do with any med), nothing further 'special' should be needed.

Having said that, it's very harsh and in my opinion should not be used unless 1) they know it's needed or 2) nothing else has worked. Bactrim will be much easier on the pig's system anyway. If it were me **and the Bactrim proves not to do the job**, then if you can (and bless you if you can), take the pig for a culture.