Maggots on a burst CL lump-gross!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:13 pm

I can tell that there is still a lump under the scab. Poor thing, I assume that it will form up again.
Sorry, you're going to have to pull the scab off and flush the abscess out again.

This happened with Millie when I thought she was almost healed. Luckily, it only needed a couple more days after the scab came off and the crud was flushed out!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Yes, definitely remove the scab and continue flushing as others have mentioned.

Now and then I check in at the right time on my lunch hour!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:37 pm

I like Talishan's advice to have the pet store cover some of the cost of treating this poor little pig.

One caution with ivermectin is that if a parasite dies in an enclosed area, you can have it rot inside the body and cause serious problems and death -- at least this is what happens with bot fly larvae in cows (if I remember right). Intestinal parasites are passed out of the body. Fly larvae don't have anywhere to go and must be carefully removed, as Josephine mentions.

I think these two little pigs are very lucky you're helping them, Barbara!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:45 pm

Poor little thing.
I get the idea that the lady has not even handled the pig before, so that is a good thing you have made the discovery...

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:53 pm

I imagine that a warm compress should help to soften the scab so that it's easier to remove a flush - stay strong!

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 pm

Good idea. I will try that. Thank you.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:08 pm

Thank you for taking care of those poor things. You're so sweet Barbara. Good luck.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:14 pm

Serena, I remember Louie everytime I come to GL.

I picture him as the guide entering all other pigs into the parsley fields forever.

And as the dance instructor of the "cucumber dip."

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:28 pm

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:37 pm

Oh yeah, that was a cute video. Very special for Louie and Serena. I hope this pig makes a full recovery. I really really want you to fight this with Petco.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:38 pm

Thanks Barbara. I miss my little Louie so much and still dream of him a lot. He's the reason I foster now and help out with rescue so much. I'm sure your precious pigs give you that motivation, too.

Gessika

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:04 pm

Oh, that Louie video is the cutest!

Good luck with your little pig Barbara!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:26 pm

The maggots may well be why the piggy is still alive, because they would eat the necrotic flesh. There are stories about Civil War soldiers living through horrible injuries despite lying in fields for days because maggots nibbled on them. I've read that it's actually painless; just a "tickle." It's just hard for us to wrap our minds around it.

Wishing your critter a speedy recovery...

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:52 pm

I really really want you to fight this with Petco.
Me too. If you need help writing a convincingly threatening letter - let me know. I'm no expert - but I used to work for a lawyer and have read enough to know which phrases are most effective.

Zoe

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:33 am

Take some pictures in case you need some evidence. This is just so disgusting.

Good luck. That CL is nasty. I had a piggy in quarantine who still managed to pass it to my then 6 year old piggy.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:58 am

Good luck, Barbara. Thank you for helping this poor pig.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:06 pm

Sandy went into PETCO today and told them of the CL and maggots.

They will take the GP's to Dr. Katz at Stuart Animal Hospital for treatment and then return them to Sandy healthy.

So I will take them back to Sandy's tomorrow when I go to do her books. Then she will take them to PETCO and then they will take them to Dr. Katz.

Dr. Katz was the vet that treated my herd for CL 2 years ago, so he knows what he is doing with CL.

So hopefully this will have a happy ending afterall.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:15 pm

I hope so! You are a wondeful helper Barbara. Maggots are nasty as can be.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:20 pm

Bless you Barbara, and thankfully you caught it in time.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:24 pm

" ... to PETCO and then they will take them to Dr. Katz."

UNH UNH UNH NO NO NO. SANDY needs to take them to Dr. Katz.

If petno gets their hands back on them I very seriously doubt Sandy or you will ever see them again. The chances are excellent they'll be killed, not humanely, and Sandy will be lied to.

Sandy can sign a legal authorization or whatever stating they are petno's property for the duration of treatment or whatever, but SANDY (or you) need to take them to Dr. Katz and SANDY (or you) needs to pick them up.

149 posts