Chronic cystitis/blood in urine

Desert

Post   » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:54 pm

I put a whole pill in a small amount of water and let it dissolve and then syringed the 0.5 cc into her mouth. I kept the rest of the water with the remainder of the dissolved pill to syringe to her the next day. The mixture smelled very pungent! Do you think the dose was too strong?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:47 am

I don't think you gave her to much. I also think you should try it again because you can't be sure it was the Shilintong when she really didn't get that much. I was giving Angel .5cc twice/day.

Desert

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:13 pm

Okay - I'll try it again. Do you mix your dose with anything else to make it more palatable? Patches really hated the taste of it. Do you give it to Angel every day or just when she has a flare-up?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:14 pm

I disolve mine in plain cranberry juice. Candy seems to like it (or tolerate it anyway).

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:16 am

"Do you give it to Angel every day or just when she has a flare-up?"

I mixed it with water. I had to give it to her everyday because her condition was chronic. She always had it.

(She passed a year and a half ago while undergoing anesthesia for something unrelated).

Desert

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:54 pm

Patches has been taking the Shilintong but it hasn't given her relief,so I called my vet. He has prescribed an antibiotic called chloraphenical and metacam for the pain.

Has anyone else given their guinea pig chloraphenical? How did it react to the medicine?

I am worried about giving her this antibiotic because it is unsafe for humans and I'm supposed to wear gloves when giving it to her and be really careful not to get any on my skin.

I'm petrified of giving it to her, leaving for work, and then coming home to find she's had a bad reaction to it.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:28 pm

It's prescribed for guinea pigs and is on the safe list. I've given it, and my pig tolerated it very well. However, you have to be very alert for signs of intolerance - this one is even harder than baytril, and some pigs can't tolerate it.

Weigh daily to check the pig isn't losing weight. Watch for diarreah. If you see any symptoms at all stop the chlor.

Did the urine culture indicate a bacteria that was sensitive to the chlor? It's not very often given for UTIs. You had an xray to rule out stones, right?

Desert

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:10 pm

Patches has been x-rayed two different times for stones and both times the x-rays did not show any stones or cysts. I may have to have her x-rayed again if this latest treatment doesn't work.

Her urine culture indicated that she had a strain of strep bacteria and my vet said the chlor would fight that bacteria.

I'll monitor her very carefully over the weekend. Thanks for the tips.

Desert

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:08 pm

As an update on Patches, she seemed to be doing well at first on the chloraphenical. After five days, however, she started getting picky about her food and then she stopped eating much altogether.

I was really alarmed this morning to see an almost perfectly clean cage. She was hunched up in the corner. I rushed her to the vet and she had the beginning of intestinal stasis, with a huge gas bubble in her stomach and a lot of smaller bubbles in her intestines.

She was given an injection for pain, some liquids, and I have to give her some medications to help stimulate the movement of her GI tract. I also started giving her the Critical Care.

This evening she is eating a little bit of lettuce on her own but she won't eat much else. I've given her several syringes of the Critical Care. She is still mainly sitting hunched and still. I hope she starts perking up tomorrow.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:28 pm

It is possible pain medication would help too. I'm so sorry she's having such difficulties. The motility drugs and hand feeding should help. Is she pooping at all?

www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

Desert

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:37 pm

As an update on Patches, she survived the intestinal stasis incident. After two days of hand feeding with the Critical Care, she started eating on her own and going to the bathroom more normally.

She has completed a ten day cycle of Zenequin, as well as a motility drug, and an appetite stimulant drug.

Her regular appetite is back now that she is completely off antibiotics. I'm still giving her metacam for pain and I've started giving her the shilintong again.

The vet indicated that she may have an occult stone that isn't showing up on x-rays. She suggested that I may need to have an ultrasound done if Patches starts squealing loudly again.

Has anyone ever had an ultrasound done on their guinea pig? If so, did it provide any answers? How expensive are the ultrasounds? (I'm feeling like I've spent a lot of money on this problem without giving Patches much relief.)

If an ultrasound might be useful, does anyone know of an internal medicine vet that does them on guinea pigs in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia? (Pet Care Vet Hospital in Virignia Beach does not do ultrasounds.)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:44 pm

An occult stone? I take it your vet did two xrays (different positions)? The stones should show up -- might be slightly hidden by bone but I would think there would still be a denser area.

An ultrasound could indeed give you some extra info -- and might give you some idea of what is going on if you have someone skilled and experienced with guinea pigs doing it.

Ultrasounds can be expensive. Some conditions can be difficult to manage even when you find out more about them.

Puller

Post   » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:39 pm

I'm sorry I didn't read your post in March. We had a similar unhappy experience with chloramphenicol with one of our pigs. What a nightmate. He did ultimately pull through.

I am currently undergoing anxiety with a 7 mos. old male with suspected sludge/stones. He had an ultrasound done this past Friday, but it was somewhat inconclusive. The vet performing it is not a gp vet, but a rabbit vet. She did the u.s. gratis since she wanted to see how successful she was with the u.s. on a pig. It seemed to her that he has sludge in his bladder. She was unsure about a bladder stone, he urinated w/o squealing after the cysto. She also did a cysto (but he has been on Septrim now for a week for suspected cystitis). We did not culture since she said the results would be skewed since he was currently on Septrim.

Question: Where would I find Poylcitra? Which one would I want to get(I'm guessing Polycitra liquid)? What dosage is recommended for an 800 g. pig? My current pig vet is not familiar with the use of Polycitra in pigs. This is the vet who prescribed the Septrim.

Secondly, is an ultra sound as good as an xray? Should I have an xray taken?

This little pig has been fed quality food since the day he was born (mom was a rescue). He is bedded on hay (orchard/tim blend), fed Oxbow pellets and provided with unlimited fresh water daily as well as a variety of assorted vegetables, greens/herbs and fruit. Since we now have grass, I supplement with cut grass vs. greens.

Any thoughts?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 3:31 pm

Stones and sludge show up clear as daylight on an x-ray, the same as a bone. An ultrasound is not worthless by any means, but I would think it would be used as a supplement, and to provide more and further information, in support of the x-ray. The x-ray is usually the primary diagnostic.

34 posts