Broken Nail

Janno

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:57 pm

Our little one, Patch, recently broke her hind right middle toenail at the base. The vet removed the nail and cauterized the toe to stop any bleeding. He said the nail would possibly grow back. All this took place between Christmas and New Years and there is no sign of the nail growing back, but Patch is happy and her old ways have returned. Has anyone had this happen to their cavy's and how long did it typically take for regrowth (if at all)?

Thanks in advance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:09 am

I may take some time. I don't know if the cauterization would make it take even longer. Just watch for any signs of infection as it fully heals.

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:55 am

One of my pigs did the same thing last fall - I think in October/November, and just recently any nail growth has been visible. So just be patient - it will most likely grow back.

gomez

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:15 am

Talker several years ago apparently got his toenail caught in the carpet while we were at work and we came home to a bloody mess. It looked like a murder took place and took months of carpet cleaning to get rid of the blood. It grew back just fine, the only difference was that the one nail never had a quick and a little thicker.

Janno

Post   » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:02 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm sure it's unrealted but the latest development is some recent lethargy coupled with limping. We had switched to a new bedding material a few weeks back and I've found that it's actually not very soft, with lots of sharp chips and splinters (I actually found a 'chipped' receipt or waybill in there too, probabaly from the lumber yard that supplied the chips to the pet supplies company).

Anyway, Patch went into the vet today and was discovered to have inflamed soles on both back feet as well as her left front paw.
Our vet (who's very good by the way) didn't prescribe any topical ointments but did give her a shot of anti-inflammatory and suggested a change of bedding.

For the time being, Patch's pad is layered with soft cotton cloths.

I'd be curious to hear of any other owner's experiences with this affliction. New to us. Any suggestiopns for treatment & preferable bedding would be most welcome.

Thanks for your replies!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:23 pm

Watch for any sign of infection. Hope things heal up okay! You might read the bedding section. Fleece is pretty soft.

www.guinealynx.info/bedding.html

Topaz

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 7:55 pm

I'm wondering if she has poor circulation(heart?) since she's having some problems with her feet. How old did you say she was? And what was she bedded on before the cloth?

I use fleece for my girls and it's been working out great. Before that, it was carefresh and aspen shavings. I prefer the fleece.

Janno

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Fleece is looking like a very compelling option. Fabricland here we come!

Patch's heart seems to be fine, according to the vet. She's about 1 1/2 years old now and prior to the old t-shirts (cloths) she was bedding on pine.

The grade of the pine might've been the problem. On the surface it seemed like any other pine bedding we've used since we got her but last change I noticed a lot of wood chips, as opposed to shavings, as well as some sharp splinters.

We gave her Kale to eat recently (never having done so before) and I had wondered if there was an allergic reaction by her sore pink feet.

It's a mystery but the cloths seems to be improving things.

We'll certainly buy a roll of fleece. Especially after seeing that picture in the link!

CaviaPorcellus77

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:13 pm

My guinea pig has had his toenail broken, up to the toe. His toe is swollen and I am worried about his health, any tips?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:32 pm

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:07 am

Soaking the foot should help. If there are clear signs of infection, you might want to see a vet.

www.guinealynx.info/_solutions.html