Injectable Baytril dosage needed asap

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:49 pm

Sounds like you found a good vet. I hope things work out as well as they can in the guinea pig health department.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:42 am

Dammit! Despite triple-checking myself (or at least thinking I was-- the vet gave me syringes in units to dose Benji's Buprenex), I dosed the Buprenex wrong. I gave Benji 0.2ml when his dosage range listed on the bottle is 0.02-0.06ml (we wanted to start at the low end). This is 0.3mg/ml concentration, and from what I'm reading on the medications page here as well as on other sites, dosing for guinea pigs can go as high as 0.1mg/kg. So, given that (please correct my math if I'm wrong), Benji received 0.06mg, still within the safe range for his weight of just under a kilo.

Can someone please confirm that I haven't given my pig a lethal dose of Buprenex? I gave it around 6:30pm (it's now almost 11pm) and just now, as I glanced at the bottle while walking by realized in horror my mistake. God, and I seriously stood there for five minutes with that syringe making SURE that I was dosing it correctly. I guess I was concentrating so hard on making sure I was certain about the ml equivalents (one unit = 1/100th of a ml), I misplaced a decimal when I actually measured the dose.

If it were going to cause any severe reaction, wouldn't it have done so by now? He looks very out of it, but he's still eating.

Ahhhg, I am SO furious with myself right now!

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:00 am

Anyone? :( I just need someone to recheck my math here...

Kellyjo

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:18 am

I wish I knew Chii, maybe someone will come on soon who knows. Good luck.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:23 am

He seems OK, but realllllly out of it. I've been going over the math again and again, and I'm still getting that I gave him 0.06mg, which is supposedly an acceptable dose according to the guidelines on the medications pages (which states that 0.05-0.1mg/kg is safe). I'm just horrified because the dose I gave him is SO much higher than what the vet prescribed. And if the dosing guidelines here say the proper dose is so much higher than what the vet says to give, then... well then AGG, I'm just confused now!

Kellyjo

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:26 am

Is it according to his weight maybe?

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:39 am

Can't be... or rather, it can't be based on the dosing guidelines here. According to my math, the 0.02ml dose that's at the bottom of my range that he can have is equal to 0.006mg. The high end of his dose (0.06ml) would be 0.018mg. Neither of those is even anywhere close to the 0.05-0.1mg/kg dose range, even given that he weighs less than a kilo. So now I wonder where the vet got his dosages. I guess maybe the doses I've been finding here and online could be post-surgery doses, which are usually much, much higher, but I have no idea.

I hate math.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:47 am

You have some Cavy Health Record Books around, no? I have a page to aid calculations. Don't know if it will help you but I tried my best to make it understandable.

What I often find is after I calculate a dose, I go at it in reverse to check if it is correct. Sorry I wasn't up to help you.

Kellyjo

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:41 am

Hope all is ok Chii.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Oh! I should have thought to look in there, Lynx.

At any rate, everything is well. Benji is just fine. I really do think that what I gave him was actually within the safe dosage range for guinea pigs. I'm now wondering how he'll respond to the minuscule dose the vet prescribed. Guess we'll try it and see.

I'm waiting until this afternoon or evening to dose the Buprenex again just to make sure that the massive dose I gave last night is completely out of his system before giving him more.

*phew*

PS- I hate whoever came up with the "units" measurement. Why not just SAY 1/100cc or 0.001cc? It makes me nervous every time, even though it's so simple.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:35 pm

I understand the unhappiness with the units measure. I am totally a cc person. 0.3cc, 0.05cc, anything cc. We know what they mean by tenths or hundreths of a cc.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:28 pm

You did give him 0.06, which is within the guidelines here and elsewhere, as you have found. Dr. Dan is saying 0.006-0.018, so your calculations are correct.

Buprenex is a strong sedative, and I'm going to take a guess that the safe doses you found are indeed for post-surgical use.

My husband says that narcotics often work 'linearly' -- that is, the more you give, the greater the effect, in a simple, straight relationship. NSAID's often have a 'threshold' -- that is, up to a certain dose it does nothing, then it works.

So: I'm guessing 1) you didn't hurt Benji at all, and may have helped him a little given his stressful day, and 2) Dr. Dan wants to use a very low dose to start, hoping that will help his orthopedic problems just a little ... then, if more needed, a little more ... etc. until he is comfortable.

My uneducated opinion *only*.