Injectable Baytril dosage needed asap

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:20 pm

In my opinion only -- if you get up several times during the night and check on him, and if you were (which of course I hope and pray not, but if you were) to find him gone, I would very seriously doubt he suffered ... and if so, certainly not for very long.

There is a lot to be said for the comfort of familiar surroundings; familiar sounds, odors; warmth, soft light.

I wouldn't worry about this decision just yet. I think you will know what to do (and just as importantly, what not to do) if that time comes.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:28 pm

Thank you. Your words echo a lot of my beliefs... if he were going to pass away on his own, I would want it to be in his home, in a place where is not surrounded by unfamiliar sounds and smells and dogs and cats and other scary things.

I also like to believe that I'll know when it's time to let him go. I knew with Mr. P. There are animals that come into the clinic and the owner is torn, but I know it's over for them. It's hard because I don't feel that way yet about Benji, but I also worry that my personal attachment could get in the way. I DON'T want to be one of those stupid owners who just won't let an animal go, even when it's obviously suffering and will not get better. This latest stuff with Benji has been really difficult in that respect because a lot of people would say that he has no quality of life or chance of having a good life again, but then I read your experiences and see little improvements in him, and I want to give him the chance to get better. If it becomes apparent that this will not happen, then yes, I will euthanize him... but so far, he's been making little improvements that keep me hoping. I truly think that any regular person would have put him to sleep by now, but I know that with aggressive care, there *is* hope. It just scares me when I think of all the people who are so blind to their pet's anguish. I really don't want to be one of those people who drags out a pet's life because I *think* I see hope when there really is none. That's part of why I write here... I try to be as honest as possible about his condition so that I can get honest feedback. It helps keep me grounded, if that makes sense.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:33 pm

It makes perfect sense. And I don't think you will be blinded by personal attachment, nor will you jump to a hasty conclusion.

Just listen to your gut, and don't try to talk yourself out of, or in to, anything.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:36 pm

For what it's worth: I think Benji is in the right place - in your care.

I will be thinking of you two tonight, and hoping for the best.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:38 pm

Random question-- I just checked on Benji and since I put him in the bathroom, he's making much more noise when he breaths. Is this good or bad? I'd normally think bad, but I kind of wonder if it means the steam is helping break up mucus and it's just coming out some now. The noise is only when he breaths in.

Also, is it better for me to have him positioned with his head higher than his body or lower? I initially had him higher to make it easier for him to breathe in, but might lower help encourage the mucus to come out? My worry there is that too much mucus working *out* of his lungs through his nose could make it even harder for him to breathe.

tracis, Thank you. You guys have no idea how much your support means. It helps so much when I'm so unsure of what's best for him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:41 pm

Oh man. No idea.

I think there is a protocol for noise on intake vs. breathing out, and head lower vs. higher, but I don't remember what it is.

Email Pinta?

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:09 pm

Just called one of the vets at my clinic, and her inclination is to keep his head higher than his body at this point, simply because he needs to get in as much oxygen as possible and any mucus being pushed towards his lungs would stop him up more, plus having his gut pushing against his lungs would increase pressure. It makes sense when I think about me having a cold... though I know it's not really encouraging the mucus to come out, but I think at this point, it's the best way to proceed.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:23 pm

chii - I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all of this and hope you can turn things around.

pinta

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:52 pm

I would wonder if he needs lasix. Ask the vet if there is a downside to trying lasix. Azithromycin is the big guns AB when it comes to pneumonia. I've had pigs turn around on it when I was sure they would not make it til morning.

For an oxygen chamber I use a giant clear garbage bag over the pigs travel basket(basket is inside bag) and just insert the oxygen tube into the basket and keep it on low positioning it close to the pig's snout.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:04 pm

I sure agree he's better off with you too. I hope he can hang in there while the antibiotics work.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:30 pm

I'm very sad to say that Benji just passed away. Probably 10 minutes ago. I had just checked on him when Zac got home and he seemed about the same. I had turned on the shower for a few minutes for him to steam up the bathroom again. He didn't seem to be in distress, he was just about like he was before. I went into the bathroom again less than five minutes later to check on him and immediately realized that he wasn't breathing. I wasn't even sure, but as soon as I saw him, I knew. I picked him up and checked for a heartbeat, but he was gone.

He must have literally taken his last breath just as I walked back into the room to check on him... he was still warm and his eyes were still shining. I held him for a few minutes to say goodbye, and just in that amount of time, the heat left him and his eyes turned that awful cloudy color they change to when they are gone.

It took until about now for it to hit me, and while I am SO very, very sad, I am also relieved. I'm so glad that I found him so quickly. Now I'll never have to wonder if he suffered. I know that he never became agonal. He just stopped. His heart stopped, or his breathing stopped, or perhaps he just chose to stop.

I'm so sorry, Benji-mouse. You have been my most special pig since I lost Miss Pea. No pig will fill that space for a very long time. I'm so sorry I couldn't do more for you. I hope you know that I tried my best and I hope that you didn't suffer for my trying. I love you, and I'll miss you, Benji Mouse.

Zac and I are taking him down to the clinic now so that I can make a pawprint and package him up for cremation. I can't bear to have to do it tomorrow morning when I get to work.

Rest in peace, Benji Mouse. I didn't want to let you go, but I know that you must be so much happier now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:38 pm

I am so sorry, chii. It is an understatement to say you gave him a chance. You gave him a chance and you gave him love.