Diablo's Medical Thread

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:25 pm

Who could forget Diablo's mood ears? Maybe it's a hormonal thing?

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:37 pm

I think it's probably just more like a person blushing.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:02 am

No, I mean his low weight, energy level, cold feet -- those can be hormonal. At least they are in humans.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:38 am

low weight, energy level, cold feet
And all classic heart signs.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:56 am

But evidently he's the most energetic of her pigs?

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:49 pm

Yes, he's very energetic.

He broke one of his bottom teeth yesterday. He ate plenty of shredded lettuce, and had a healthy appetite. He devoured a ton of Critical Care, and had fun with with it because he got away with nibbling Mommy's fingers. He wasn't able to eat the chopped pepper I gave him, though, so I'll try blenderizing it for him.

I checked out the page about broken teeth, and it says I don't need to see the vet about it. I'm figuring this is correct, right?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:13 pm

Yes, just monitor to make sure things grow back fine.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:55 am

Oh, no. How is he now?

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:12 pm

Diablo is not doing well.
Yesterday, something weird was sticking out of his mouth. It was long and dried, and smelled really bad. I have no idea whether it was old food that was stuck in his mouth, or if it was vomit. It hasn't occurred since. Since I was concerned about the stuff that came out of his mouth, I began syringing him a pellet slurry. He took it somewhat willingly.
Tonight, when I got home, I began syringe-feeding him. When I stuck the syringe into his mouth (Not roughly, either,) the bottom tooth that hadn't previously broken broke off. It didn't come all the way out of the mouth; it is still there, hanging onto the gum. I don't know whether or not to pull it out.
He is still active and curious. My mom said that he was huddled in a corner earlier, but then she put a pigloo in and he began running around and getting all excited. When I put him back in the cage after he broke his tooth, he ran around rumblestrutting and being a generally happy pig.
I've mixed up a very watery pellet slurry for him. I don't know if I should feed him anything else. Keep in mind, the broken tooth is still in his mouth.
I know for sure that he has some sort of tooth problem. I'm calling the vet to make an appointment tomorrow morning.

Please help! I'm really worried about him. I don't think I'll get any sleep tonight.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:17 pm

Bilbo had his front top incisors hanging like that a few weeks ago and was miserable until they were removed. I had the vet do it, although I could have done exactly what he did. Once they were out, Bilbo was a much happier guy, although I did have to cut his veggies into very small pieces til the teeth started to grow back. If this is an ongoing problem, you might want to make sure he's getting enough vit. C.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:44 pm

Thanks for your help, Amy. :)
The tooth has broken off of its own accord. The gum is still bloody and unpleasant looking so I'm not going to force-feed him, because I imagine it would be very painful for him. I'll make him some blenderized veggies tonight, though.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:33 am

Thinking good thoughts for you.