Fungis and Mites or just mites? Links to Graphic and Sad Pic

MichiganJoe

Post   » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:50 pm

Yes I will continue the ivermectim for at least 4 treatments. She has already had two.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:51 pm

If this is actually caused by mites she'll need many more than 4 treatments.

MichiganJoe

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:09 pm

I took off the wraps that were stopping her from scratching as I had her sitting next to me in my office to keep an eye on her.
She didnt itch at all from what I could see but she is a sneaky one. I left her in her cage for a while and when I checked on her she did scratch herself some but not in the face like I expected she itched right behind her front legs.
I treated the scratches with the wash and put the straight jacket back on her. I also began using the wash on her wounds.

I will keep the ivermectim up for as long as needed. How would I know when to stop the treatments?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:57 pm

This is one of the most serious cases I've seen. I forget, you have more than one pig? You're treating all at the same time? I would be tempted to treat once a week for a couple months. If things are not totally healed, I'd even go longer. If you treat topically, it is very easy and a reasonable precaution. Demodex mites (another sort) are notoriously difficult to get rid of and require multiple treatments.

MichiganJoe

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:52 pm

Its been several weeks now and I thought she was getting better very slowly but today she started scratching at her body and I notice she has small clumps of white stuff on her body. I called they vet and they just wanted to give her ivermectim again which she just had 7 days ago.
They said the culture for fungus wont be done till wednesday but honostly if she starts getting worse I wont let her take it that long. I am already torturing the poor thing doing the cleanses every day. She has very little hair left on her head and what is left is coming off in large clumps.

Updated pics -- very large again sorry but I was frustrated looking for pictures that I could actually see.

This is a new scratch wound. She is itching at the white powder like substance on her skin.
http://www.videospeednews.com/cavey/brownie22.JPG

This is showing how much hair she has lost the positive note to this picture is the lack of infections Puss.
http://www.videospeednews.com/cavey/brownie24.JPG

And here are two to show where we came from. The second one is pretty graphic ear infection.

http://www.videospeednews.com/cavey/brownie02JPG
http://www.videospeednews.com/cavey/brownie01.JPG

Any good suggestions out there? Change antibiotics? Start antifungal treatments over my vets objections? Ride out the current treatment of ivermectim, antibiotics and ivermectim? As much as I would love to say cost is no object it is. I have spent over $240 in treatments and vet bills and it hasnt helped at all from what I can tell.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:22 pm

If it's any consolation, the $240+ has helped ... really. You haven't seen the full effect yet of properly treating her. You will, though. It can take an extraordinarily long time, but your investment has not been ill-spent.

I have no experience with mite cases this severe. Hopefully those with experience in combination mite, secondary infection, and fungal problems all at one time will see this shortly and advise you.

I can suggest to hang in there and stick with her. These infections can take a very long time to resolve, but the reward will be worth it, to see her happy, healthy, pain-free and fully furred again.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:30 pm

I called they vet and they just wanted to give her ivermectim again which she just had 7 days ago.
Yes of course - you'll be treating with ivermectin every 7 days until this problem is gone.

As to the secondary issues, they will of course also have to be treated.

If the pig isn't seizing I'd be very tempted to use a Lymdip treatment which kills all sorts of things - ask your vet about it.

And I've found sometimes better success with Revolution than with Ivermectin for severe cases of mites (although I've never had one as severe as this).

MichiganJoe

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:17 pm

No she is not seizing and continues to eat and drink well. She is definately in discomfort because of the significant amount of wrapping I now I have to use to stop her from itching.
I just got done using the wash on her and found that over parts of her body her hair has a yellowish crust near the base and the hair just falls off leaving bare skin.

Would the revolution irritate her wounds? Is there anything I can safely give her for the pain or itching?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:43 pm

The revolution wouldn't irritate her wounds any more than the ivermectin.

If you use revolution, you won't use the ivermectin.

I'd really give it a try. I order mine from Australia at www.petshed.com (no rx needed there, as in this country, and it comes quickly).

You can give metacam for the pain, but you'll need to get it from your vet. And people have had success with Benadryl for the itching, but you'll need to check the dosage.

I'd continue to treat her for a bacterial infection, but you really should consider doing a lymdyp for any possible fungus - it has the added advantage of working for mange mites.

If your vet isn't doing the mite treatments every 7 days I'd be concerned.

MichiganJoe

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:59 pm

I have a vet in the family doing the ivermectim shots every 7 days. Also having a vet in the family makes getting things easier the problem is he knows nothing about small animals and certainly not gunea pigs.
On a side note they need to put a warning label on these things. I lifted her up to look at her belly and it felt like someone blasted me in the face with a squirt gun! Glad my mouth wasnt open. Was she trying to tell me something? :)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:03 am

What dosage is he using of Ivermectin?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:10 am

Thanks for the additional pics. I could not quite make out what was going on with the ear. Is it the inside or outside of the ear? Is there an ear infection? Is your pig on antibiotics? Did your family vet person say it looked like there was also a bacterial skin infection?