Very puzzled

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:35 am

That seems significant to me - almost 3 oz. in a few days. I'd be inclined to supplement with critical care if this continues. I haven't had a chance to go back to the beginning, but are there any teeth issues, here? So many of the gas/motility problems trace back to molar problems.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:38 am

No teeth issues thank goodness and she eats lots and lots of KM's hay every day. It's her favorite thing!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks Mum. Guess that's what I wanted to know. I'll just keep watching her weight and if she keeps losing I'll look for other causes. Hopefully she'll settle down and it will just have been a combination of water and gas.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:49 pm

Supplement her with Critical Care and watch it. It's possible some of the loss is due to her being more active (if she is, that is) on the heart med.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:49 pm

Well, it looks as though I panicked too soon and that Lady Bug's weight is stabelizing nicely.

I weigh her before she gets the meds twice a day and for the last two days she's been 2.6.3/4 in the am an 2/7/ 5/8 in the pm. Thank goodness.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:19 pm

I have another question on a med specified in the Health Guide here on GL. What is a brand name for "Sterile Ophtalmic Triple Antibiotic"?

Wednesday afternoon, when all vets were closed, LB had a very red rimmed eye and she was keeping it pretty well shut. There is no fluid leaking from her eye, her nose and breathing are fine.

Because she is blind, I think she just gets eye pokes when she buries herself in her hay. This has happened before but never quite this bad. I'm wondering if there is an eye drop that I can use to help relieve the discomfort she's feeling. I did give her some Metacam and the eye is looking much better tonight, almost normal.

Thank you and hopefully the drops will be available at any pharmacy.

pinta

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:37 am

"Ophtalmic" simply means for eye use. Triple antibiotic could refer to 3 ABs or maybe triple strength. To come up with an equivalent brand name you need to know the name of the AB in the solution. Chlorlean, a kind of Chloramphenicol is often used for eyes.

You need more details.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:37 pm

Did I write Sterile Ophtalmic Triple Antibiotic somewhere? Sterile saline would make sense. Not sure the other would.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:11 pm

Yes, it's in the Emergency Guide on GL and sterile saline does make more sense, especially for just an uncomfortable eye-poke. Thanks.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:19 pm

See if your vet will sell you some Gentocin (gentamicin) drops to keep on hand for the occasional poke, especially since she is blind.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:23 pm

I removed the word sterile from that phrase. I did a google search and got three hits. One was me.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:29 pm

See how famous you are Lynx? You even come up on Google!

Thank you for the tip on Gentocin Talishan. I'm assuming there's no sting or anything else when using? Just a soothing "oh, that feels better" reaction.