Very puzzled

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:23 am

I have a little over 4 1/2 year old female intact. In February she had an ultra-sound, top/side e-rays, blood work as well as urine tests. She is on KM's timothy pellets and blue orchrd grass as well as red/green lettuce.

All her tests came out fine, bones, kidneys, bladder looked great. Shortly after the tests she has started having what I can only call "bad days". She will eat less and stay in her pigloo and only eat hay. Very few pellets. Since her 4th birthday she has not had any water at all, her choice.

She sits hunched up and slightly fluffed. This is the third time. Its approx. 1 1/2 weeks between episodes. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? The first time I just kept an eye on her but the second time she went to her vet. She is now starting the 3rd episode tonight. It will last from 24 to 36 hours. I'm at my wits end with this. I've been a "lurker" here for many months and I can't find anything in any post that sounds like this.

Has anyone else had anything like this? If so, did it turn out to be anything or did it just go away? Thanks.

Tammy

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:30 am

Teeth problems?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:36 am

Sorry, still trying to figure out the site here. No, her teeth were checked visually with a spreader as well as included in the views on the x-rays. Her coat is shiny, no hair falling or anything.

Tammy

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:46 am

Oh! I see you're from northern CA. Who's your vet?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:51 am

Mark Ross, Montgomery Village Vet. He's seen her since she was 2 mos. old. Whenever I go in I'm always carrying pages from GL. He's learned a lot! He is a good doc on his own though or I wouldn't have stayed with him.

Tammy

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:55 am

I guess you'll have to wait until some of the experts arrive to help you out.

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:24 am

Arthritis?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:32 am

Bones looked fine on the x-rays. Tht was one of the things I specifically wanted to check out on her physical. BTW, her weight is dead on with just the normal changes 2lb 4oz to 2lb 6oz.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:24 am

What does her heart look like on xray? Did you have both her heart and abdominal cavity checked on ultrasound?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:36 am

You paid particular attention to the bladder? Any pain on urination? Cysitits perhaps?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:54 am

There is no squeeking or sounds of any kind when urinating. Neither her vet nor I are that familar with "normal" hearts in GP's but all looked ok on the ultra sound. The Tech that did the ultra sound is one of the tech's from UC Davis.

I had no specific problems when the physical was done. It was actually a throw away comment that Mum had made in one of her posts about getting a base line idea of what is going on that prompted me to have it done. Since so many of the GP's her age haven't made it as far as she has, I just wanted to know.

There were no signs of sludge, irritation, nothing.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:18 am

Since so many of the GP's her age haven't made it as far as she has, I just wanted to know.
She's only 4 1/2, though, right? That's only middle-aged!

I do hope you can get to the bottom of this. You weigh her weekly, right? She's lost no weight?