Very puzzled

pinta

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:45 am

Her teeth themselves are perfect. the roots are just beginning to show signs of "getting long". I'm assuming
that is the same as a human getting "long in the tooth"?

I take it to mean she is developing elongated roots. As the roots elongate, it will be more and more painful for her to chew. Lack of chewing will result in malocclusion. Read up on elongated roots - there's a thread in reference worth reading.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:02 am

Hi Pinta

I asked her doctor what the long roots meant and she compared them to a horse, Since I don't know much about horses it didn't mean a lot to me. She did say it was just another thing to watch as there might be problems later.

I think for Lady Bug's comfort and time constraints she was lightly sedated for all the procedures. They got to watch her eat when she came out of the doping up. She went for the hay like a champ. Poor baby was hungry after all that time.

It was amazing to watch the "patients" who came in. A lot of dogs who had had cancer surgery and Chemo. One rooster with bad feet and a hairless hamster. Quite a place.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:39 pm

I need some further help here please. Lady Bug seems to have a lot of gas all the time. I've tried the OTC baby gas stuff as well as the vibrating pillow but they don't seem to be having much effect. I know at one point awhile back I found a thread from Rshevin that was helpful but can't find it now. Maybe I'm just too tired at this point!

I've tried a search for gas and motility drugs but am not really finding out what I need to know. Lady Bug has had three doses, about two weeks ago of Cisapride but frankly, given it's history, it scare me to death.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a motility drug that is not as dangerous?

Thank you.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:15 pm

Ah yes, that was my Piggy with the gas problems. He still has them sometimes. I've found the best way to manage his gas is with diet. For whatever reason he can't have bell peppers. It took me a while to figure that out since they're so commonly fed. Exercise is important as is eating a lot of grassy hay. I also give him a slug of simethicone (the baby stuff) if I even suspect he might be gassy. Usually his poops will change and a single dose goes a long way towards preventing things getting worse. Just make sure he tolerates the simethicone well. Many people on GL have pigs that don't but it's a lifesaver for Piggy.

Reglan is your other motility option. I was really scared of cisapride for a while but it does work. The concern with the drug was for people with existing heart conditions. I'll see if I can find Piggy's thread and link it to you. GL gave me a lot of good suggestions.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:18 pm

Here's Piggy's thread if you'd like to look over it again.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32953

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:26 pm

Thank you mucho Rshevin. that's what I was looking for.

I have a quick question. Have any of you out there ever heard of Metacam affecting kidneys with long time use? I don't remember reading this on here but then the memory is not what it was either.

Someone not connected with GL just told me that. Not sure I believe it though. Thanks.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:29 pm

I've heard of other long term NSAIDS (ibuprofen specifically) affecting the kidneys. They are removed from the body via the kidneys as opposed to something like Tylenol that's removed mostly by breaking down in the liver.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:34 pm

Our vet says Metacam is excreted through the kidneys. She is cautious in assessing the total kidney load (my phrase, not hers) in evaluating medications, procedures, etc.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:45 pm

How interesting. So what is one supposed to do? I guess just monitor the kidneys every so often.

Yesterday's doctor put Lady Bug on Meloxicam (1.5mg/ml). Give 0.2ml by mouth twice a day for up to 7 days. This was done with her arthritis in mind. Does this sound like too much?

The idea was to see if it worked or not.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:00 pm

That's closer to an analgesic dose (post-op, etc.) than a long-term arthritis dose in my opinion. It sounds high to me for an arthritis dose, but I see the point in evaluating if it works or not. I wouldn't give her that much for more than 5 or 7 days, though. Actually, I'd give her 0.2 mL of the 1.5 mg/mL suspension once a day to start with, and see if her mobility and overall demeanor change.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:08 pm

Thank you Talishan. Your suggestion sounds like a good one. If it does work then her local vet will refill the prescription so I can keep her feeling a little more "frisky".

She goes back in 3 months for another ultra-sound to keep an eye on the bright spot on her one adrenal gland that is swollen. Needless to say, she'll go back to U C Davis at that time. I've fallen in love with their equipment.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:06 pm

I have two pigs who get a daily dose of 0.15 per day (sometimes it's 0.2ccs) - both pigs have arthritis.