Very puzzled

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:09 pm

Ditto Pinta. I've had much better success with carprofen for long-term, arthritis or other chronic disorder treatment than Metacam, but that's just me.

Dosing has a fairly wide range. Caveat: I do not have the bottle in front of me and am going on memory. Check these dosages and concentrations with your vet first! As best I recall, our vet gave me a 10 mg/mL compounded oral medication and directed me to give 0.1 to 0.2 mL once OR twice a day depending on need. This for a pig a little over a kilo (say, 1100 g or so as best I recall at that point in her life). Thus, 1 to 4 mg daily for an 1100 g pig.

I do recall looking the dose range up in Carpenter's and my vet used exactly what Carpenter's had. So if you can get the book, if someone else here has it handy, or if I can remember to bring it to work tomorrow :-p, it's exactly the range in Carpenter's.

It was relatively palatable to our group. We had it compounded with a light watermelon flavor, and the recipients usually took it willingly. One of my old vets did, however, want bloodwork done every 6 months or so to check proper liver function. As I understand it it's a little harder on the liver than Metacam, while Metacam is a little harder on the kidneys than carprofen.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Lynx, I'll bet it's another case of my bad and you do have a sticky. I probably posted on it somewhere : (

Pinta-I don't have anyone around here that would do those kinds of procedures on a Guinea Pig. Even UC Davis, were I able to get up there, doesn't do those kinds of things. I do so envy you your vets.

Talishan-thank you for the info. I will call the Bugs vet tomorrow and discuss this with him. I think to start I just want the smallest amount possible just in case she turns out to be one of the pigs that can't tolerate Carprofen.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:27 pm

Pinta, I was just reading what you had written under the arthritis sticky and have a question. How long did you massage the piggy with the massager? I have an ultrasound massager (not medical grade-hand held) and might try it for relief if nothing else.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:10 am

See if any of the chiropractors in your area use cold laser therapy. They may think it's odd you want if for your guinea pig but, I am here to tell you it works at regenerating tissue. They can tell you about all the benefits medically much better than I can. All I know is pain goes away after a few treatments!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Nothing useful from me, but just sending The Bug lots of good thoughts. Poor sweetie; I hope the Rimadyl helps.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Just wanted to update Lady Bug's med thread.

Was on 1.2ml Benazapril twice a day, 1/4 of a Vetmedin pill twice a day, .6ml Lasix twice a day for her heart.

For her arthritis she was on .2ml Metacam twice a day. She had ceased walking like a Guinea Pig and moved more like a bunny due to the deterioration in her her hind quarters. I was reluctant to put her on Rimadyl due to the side effects where as she was tolerating the Metacam.

The last couple of days I noticed a definite pear shape to her and she had started losing clumps of hair from her left flank.

Before I could react to the hairloss, fearing ovarian cysts, she died on 7/15/09. I think it all just became too much for her body to handle.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:52 pm

She had an awesome life Bugs Mom. I'm sure she is smiling upon you every day, silently thanking you for the care and love you gave her :)