Very puzzled

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon May 21, 2007 9:42 pm

Bugs Mom, try a different browser. Also clear all your cookies and temporary internet files. It would help.

Oh, and contact your internet provider. If they change your ip during your session, that will automatically log you out. Some people have this problem.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue May 22, 2007 11:29 am

Good Morning. We're still waiting for the first test results to come back from the lab (sometime today) but the Bug has developed terrible gas. It started yesterday afternoon and is still going on this am. It doesn't seem to matter what she's eaten, lettuce, hay or pellets. I want to get her some simethicone this morning but am unsure how much or what method to use. Can someone give me an idea? Thank you.

Lynx-yes, my provider changes ip address. I do already keep the temp. etc folders cleaned out. I have an old 5 year computer and don't like cluttering up the memory any more than I have to. I'll just curse and live with the situation.

scoot

Post   » Tue May 22, 2007 3:59 pm

There are dosing instructions on the medical pages here, but basically you get the infant dose bottle which has a pipette dropper in it. Then you feed it to your pig following the hand feeding page tips.
My vet said O.5ml every 4-6 hours plus massage the sides to help the gas come out

However I would also go to the vet as you will also need Reglan (metaclopromide) to aid the poops to pass and maybe another x-ray and some critical care to hand feed and some probiotics.
And hand feed liquids

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:32 pm

OK, I'm at my wits end with all this. I think the last problem I had with the Bug was caused by something she ate and cleared up just fine. I did take her to her doctor and nothing showed up in a fecal and that's getting to be the norm.

She just came off another one of her "episodes" last night. I just don't know where else to find answers since I've had feces, blood, urine tests run as well as x-rays and an ultra-sound. Everything comes back just fine.

The only other cause I can think of for her problems is hormonal. In humans you can run a blood test to determine if there's a problem. Does anyone know if there is a similar test for GP's? I would hate to have a surgery done particularly since I'm not sure that's the problem.

Any ideas or info anyone?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:30 pm

Just wanted to update this. Now I know what the "episodes" are. Lady Bug got an ultrasound today and there are two good sized and some smaller cysts on one of her ovaries.

I wish they had shown up sooner. How wierd all this started right after her work-up 6 months ago.

She has more great than "bad" days and the episodes are not a frequent but they still occur.

In all other respects despite being a little over 5 years old she's in great shape so a good candidate for a spay. I think I'll try and go the spay route.

Beans_sarabeara

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:04 pm

1. I am jealous I used to live in santa rosa and miss it.

2. Dont have a spay done by a non expierenced vet. Try Redwood Vetranairy Clinic, heck, call all the vets and find out how many have been done by each DR. Go woth the most expierenced.

maremma

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:09 pm

I am sorry your little one has developed cysts. Thank you though for posting here her entire experience through out this. I for one greatly appreciate it.

As good a shape as she may be in I must agree to "shop around" for the vet with the most experience and best track record for doing spays on a guinea pig.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:20 pm

"Shopping around" is exactly what I'm doing believe me. Lady Bug is very precious to me and I try and take the best care I can. She gets the best, I get the left-overs!

I've already gotten some references on "good" vets from friends in my area and have every intention of checking them out.

Thank you for your good thoughts.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:44 pm

Another question for you all. When the Lady Bugs x-ray and ultrasound were done, they both showed a very large gas bubble. Her doctor suspects this could be one of the reasons she's a little quieter than normal as well as a reason she is eating just a little less.

He has put her on Cisapride. The bottle says 2mg/ml in banana suspension. The dose to give her twice a day is 0.25 (0.5 mg). Is this a good dose for motility? or should it be more/less. Also, does Cisapride have pain killing properties to it?

I'm having a problem finding ANY vet willing to do a spay as the standard response is "she's too old and the risks arn't worth it". I love how people who don't know you or your pig just make assumptions. I don't think 5 years is too old for a spay inf the pig is in great condition otherwise.

Again, thank you in advance.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:19 pm

Bugs Mom, how is the Bug doing? Did you find a vet for the spay?

I had 5 or 6 spays done in the past with about a 50% success rate. I didn't ever do a spay on a pig over 5, though. Not that I was concerned about the age but because I never had one become necessary at that age. :)

The dosage on the Cisapride is right in the middle range so it should be fine. I think the dosage is 0.1 - 0.5 mg/kg twice a day.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi KM. Yes, I've found a well recommended vet in my area. She was well spoken of by two different vets here so the Bugster has an appointment on Monday to DISCUSS a spay, not have a spay done. I'm just trying to get as much info so I can do the best thing for her.

I had the Lady Bug's vet call another vet that I got the name of in New Jersey who has lots of experience with the HCG hormone in GP's. I'll probably go with the hormone but just don't want to regret it later because I didn't do my research first. I'm so paranoid and since these are cysts and not tumors, I have a little time.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:27 pm

You do have some time, but be aware that the darling Bug is getting older as time goes by, and sometimes, cysts can actually grow enough that they become more of a problem. With Pebbles, they had gotten so large that the vet said it actually helped the surgery because the ovaries literally "fell" out from the weight of the cysts, so she didn't have to dig around for them. With my daughter's pig, though, they had attached themselves to the liver and the surgery was much rougher.

I'm sure Bug will be fine, and let us know what the vet said on Monday!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:40 pm

Hi all. Just got back from the vet. I have decided to do a spay. It seems it's a bit more complicated than just a spay.

She has an unidentified mass next to the left ovary. The doctor is not sure if it's attached to the ovary, in which case, no problem, or, it could be adrenal.
I'm going to wait for lunch to be over and try again to get hold of U C Davis and see if I can get them to use the fancy expensive ultra-sound machine to identify this.

I'm getting really frustrated with all this but of course, will not give up. Guess I'm just getting tired after a week and a half of worry and now this.

Will keep this updated as I find thing out.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:03 pm

You might choose to just do the spay and discover more after the surgery.

I take it you would do the surgery no matter what the ultrasound showed?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi Lynx. Yes, I'm in favor of the spay route. The hesitation on the part of the doctor is that not knowing exactly what this mass is and it turns out to be something serious in and of itself, it could become complicated. If it contains fluid, for example, it could accidentally discharge an unknown fluid into her body cavity that would be dangerous.

The doctor didn't think it was a kidney but beyond that if it is adrenal it will need to be handled with care.

Just a case of everyone being cautious. I even asked what if you just do the spay and then biopsy if it is not attached to the ovary. She felt that could be dangerous. Anyway, Bug and I have a 10AM appt at Davis on Wednesday.

Fingers crossed. Please keep good thoughts for my beautiful little Bug.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:48 pm

I know of at least a couple guinea pigs that had spays where masses were discovered during the spay, attached to major organs and very difficult to remove. It is not common but I guess can happen.

I still wish you the best.

If there is excess fluid in an ovary, it could be aspirated with a needle to reduce the quantity.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:54 pm

Good luck, Bug Baby! I hope your girl is doing okay and recovers well. Keep us posted.

amy m guinea

Post   » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:15 am

I'll be thinking of you both! I've been following this thread with interest. Best of luck for Bug's quick recovery.

amy m guinea

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:32 pm

Hoping all goes well today!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:07 am

Well, after a 12 hour day we finally got home. It is so great to have really top notch equipment assessing your fur baby. Yes she has ovarian cysts, but since she shows none of the classic symptoms, they don't seem to be bothering her. Bottom line, no spay at this time.

She does have some cysts on one of her kidneys and the kidney is quite large, but again, no symptoms so is probably benign.

She has a large cyst on her adrenal gland which, unfortunately, has a very small bright white spot in it. This may or may not turn out to be cancer. I'll take Lady Bug back to UC Davis in three months (unless something goes wrong before that) and she'll have another ultra-sound to check out the spot.

She does have a little arthritis in her knees, shoulders and back so the doctor prescribed some metacam. The doctor today seemed to think her "episodes" were pain related to the arthritis. She is still gassy so between the x-rays and the ultra-sound, they syphoned off the gas so it wouldn't distort the reading.

Her teeth themselves are perfect. the roots are just beginning to show signs of "getting long". I'm assuming that is the same as a human getting "long in the tooth"?

That, in a nutshell, was Lady Bugs assesment today. she had x-rays, ultra-sound, urine, feces and blood tests done. Seemed pretty through to me. It cost enough!

727 posts