Shelter pigs w/ringworm

melcvt00

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:48 pm

It's not labeled for a fungus, but has been shown to be effective.

And did you know that there are oral treatments for ringworm? Griseofulvin is the usual one.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:02 pm

I hope you're not suggesting it, Mel. It's way too harsh for pigs and should only be used as a very last resort.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:38 pm

I guess some people have had problems with this drug. One person even claimed it caused the death of a young cavy. I don't remember anything else specific but around here it seems to be recommended only as a last resort, as E said. And there are other things that are safer and effective too.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:48 pm

I guess malessezia (a yeast commonly found in dog ears that causes infections) also has chitin in its cell wall. So, lufenuron research is going in that direction. It may be effective against that also at normal doses, but vets are only using it for ringworm and fleas now.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:06 am

The rescue person who is taking in these pigs (btw, she decided to foster all 5--yay!) says that she uses Program on dogs with yeast infections.

Also, the program I have came in a 125mg suspension but it doesn't say how many ml are in the packet. Should we just draw it all up into syringes and measure out 30 mg for each from there?

I found out that none of these are adults. It appears that they are all less than 6 mos. Should they still get the 30mg?

melcvt00

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:46 am

Nope. Wasn't trying to suggest griseofulvin. It's kinda bad that it came across that way.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:53 pm

Question about measuring dosage:

The packets contain 135mg of Program. Since we need 150mg for 5 pigs, I guess we are going to draw up 1 packet into a syringe and find out what the mg/ml ratio is.

Does anyone know if the remainder of the Program will keep or should it be discarded?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:22 pm

No idea. Advantage, on the other hand, doesn't even come with an expiration date and is good for quite a while (I wrote the company). Is there an expiration date on this product?

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:27 pm

yep...8/04, but I'm not sure that means after opening.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:34 pm

Your best bet then is to contact the company and see if some exposure to air makes any difference at all. If it were me, I'd just go by that expiration date and handle it carefully.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:02 pm

Can Program and Ivermectin be given on the same day or should we wait? They just had their Ivermectin--topical.

melcvt00

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:12 pm

I'd go for it.