Meg is getting spayed

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:22 pm

How's she feeling today?

Elly

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:37 am

Great, great and great.

She's eating, drinking and active. She has started chewing on the bars of the cage trying to get out to be with her friends.

Her incision developed a little redness near the stitches. It was alarming at first because it looked a bit streaky but it diffused and looks like it's fading. I think it's irritation and not infection but I'm watching it closely and checking it several times a day.

Here she is.

You can see in her face that she's not in pain like her first day. She has not needed any metacam either and at the moment she has buried herself in her hay and is happily munching away.

Meg asks everyone to please forgive her bad haircut. Mommy thought it would be a good idea to cut away all her excess, long hair before her surgery to help keep her clean.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:08 am

Is there any chance that before it grows out (and it will quickly), you can get an even better (crisper, perhaps ground level, natural light, no flash) illustrative pic of the hairloss on the side of her abdomen? This is what Snowflake had and I wish I'd taken a pic of it. Very very typical of a sow having ovarian cysts (I would put it on the ovarian cysts page).

Elly

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:16 am

Here are pictures I took before her surgery. I'm also reposting the thread I placed on GPC along with them. The name links lead to their GL threads here.

If you want better pictures I can get them and I also have the original (uncropped) pictures these details were taken from if you want a bigger body view. I also have hair regrowth pictures of Dilly if you want them.

I have had two guinea pigs now with ovarian cysts Dilly and Meg

Both guinea pigs shared symptoms but there were also some differences. If you notice any of the below types of symptoms in your female guinea pigs you need to take them to a cavy savy vet. Spaying is the most common form of treatment but hormone injections can also be successful and may be a better option in an elderly pig or one that is a poor surgery risk(more info available on Dilly's GL thread)

Symptoms my pigs had
  • Increased sexual aggression. Both Dilly and Meg acted like they were in heat non-stop. This included mounting, chasing, rumblestrutting.
  • Changed body type. Meg, more then Dilly, became more pear shaped almost as if she was in the early stages of pregnancy
  • Hair loss. Both suffered hair loss although the placement of the hair loss was different at first and the pattern of hair loss remained different.
  • Crust on Nipples. Only Meg developed crustiness. Dilly did not.
Dilly first lost hair on her back

A within days Dilly then showed signs of bilateral hair loss along with secondary infections from scratching and chewing at her sides. She also started to lose hair on her chest and belly. Ovarian cysts can be very irritating and cause the guinea pig to pull and chew off their own hair as well as the biting, scratching and licking.

Left Side (Dilly)

Right Side (Dilly)

Chest and Belly (Dilly)

Meg only lost hair on her sides and did not scratch herself. Her hair loss was more diffused and more like a thinning then true bald patches

Right Side (Meg)

Left Side (Meg)

Only Meg had crust on her nipples. It was hard to tell if Dilly's nipples were elongated as she always had long nipples and I do not know if she ever gave birth before I adopted her.

Meg's Nipple

Dilly's Nipple

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:36 pm

Great! No time at the moment but I hope to remember to add something to the ovarian cyst page (maybe even a sub page with your summary as a case study).

[Going into town in a few minutes]

Elly

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:01 pm

I have a couple of new pictures and questions.

This was Meg's surgery site yesterday

This is the site today

Unfortunately I didn't get photos of her incision of the first day when it looked pink and perfect with no red or discoloration nor any pictures of the second day when the first redness appeared. At first the redness looked like scratchmarks just under the skin and scared me because I was afraid it might be the beginnings of blood poisoning/infection.

hen the redness diffused and became what you see in the first picture above.

Today it is bigger and has some purplish areas that look like bruising. It is only on her right side and that is where the ovary was adhered to the body wall. The vet had to do a lot of fumbling around that side to get it out and I'm wondering it it's just trauma and bruising instead of infection.

There is no heat, swelling, pus or discharge, odor or tenderness that I can notice.

What do you all think?

Here are more photos of Meg's hairloss that I took today. You might find something you like better there Lynx

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:40 pm

That discoloration is bruising. I'd monitor it, but it doesn't look infected at all right now. Looks really good, actually.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:41 pm

What kind of internal sutures does she have? I thought her incision looked pretty great too. Hooray for Meg. She is beautiful.

Elly

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm not certain what the suture material is exactly but I can find out if you want to know.

I wasn't paying close attention at the closing but I think he used 2 or 3 stitches through the muscle wall and then perhaps figure-8ed through the skin. The muscle layer could have been sutured separately though and the he only did 2 stitches through the skin while only grabbing a small bit of the muscle as well for stability. He may have done a running stitch. I really wish I had paid better attention. I was just so relieved that the operation was over though. I do know that they used surgical glue as well.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm sure there was at least a 2-layer closure. The sutures he used on the skin I'm sure was a subcuticular continuous suture pattern. Not that it matters. The type of suture usually matters more.

Elly, on another note, I'm sure you are busy with the pigs, but I wanted to make sure you got either one of the emails I sent. I sent one through the GL mailer and another through the CavyCages mailer. Please let me know if you didn't get one.

Elly

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:35 pm

I just replied to your email. Sorry for the delay but I haven't wanted to go near my email lately.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:36 pm

Ahh poor Meg, she looks sad. Hope she is feeling better now.

Elly

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:42 pm

In that last set of pictures she's mad, not sad. She is so sick of me bothering and poking at her constantly. She has never been a cuddly pig, prefers the company of other pigs but even then she wants her space and wishes the humans would just drop the veggies and leave.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:34 pm

Thanks again, Elly! Still planning on adding something more complete (will probably go to sleep early tonight) but did add my fave pic of Meg on the ovarian cyst page.

www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

Elly

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:17 pm

Meg continues to do really well. She is back to her old self and the bruising near her incision is fading quickly.

I'm wondering if I can put her back in Gen Pop? It's been 6 days since the surgery and I feel 100% comfortable with putting her back in with her cagemates.

Any reason I shouldn't?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:16 pm

If it were me I'd put her back in and watch her. If she overdoes it, you might need to pull her back out. For a surgery this major I'd keep her in movement-restricted for at least 7-10 days, but she's doing exceptionally well.

If you have the time sometime and are talking to your vet, I would really like to know the suture material. This has apparently worked out just beautifully and I know I have at least one with a reaction to dissolvable.

Elly

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:41 pm

Talishan
Meg saw the vet yesterday. She has 100% recovered, looks and acts great and seems to be suffering no ill after effects at all.

I asked him what sort of suturing he had done. He used monocryl (dissolvable) to close the muscle layer and surgical glue to close the skin so there were no sutures to remove.

He said that Vicryl sutures(dissolvable) should never be used because it can cause reactions-- sometimes severe.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:14 pm

Thank you!! And glad to hear Meg is doing so well.

58 posts