Stress

LynnK

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:58 pm

Do pigs deal with stress my Amigo´s coat is getting a bit thin I´m wondering if it´s just stress he is doing ok with his weight and his malocclusion is doing fine but his coat and it´s so georgous I hate to see him lose it. I gave him a bath the other night and I think it helped a bit I used some Selson Blue with Aloe for any itching and then some regular Kay-tee for any chance at any lice just wanted to be sure well all in all he is doing pretty good, except for the monthly teeth trimmings they are making me go broke but he is worth every penny!!!!

Sunny

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:26 pm

He´s gorgeous LynnK! I used baby shampoo on Spot last week and now he has what looks like "dandruff." I´m taking him to the vet to make sure because he is getting a bald patch on his hip too. Must have a bug.

Why the monthly teeth trimmings?

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:58 pm

Sunny-
Lynn´s pig has malocclusion, a teeth problem. He needs to have his teeth filled each month.

Has your pig been treated with Ivermectin? One of the first signs of mites is dandruff. Vets who are not used to pigs usually insist on doing a skin scrapping. Don´t bother. It´s extremely painful to the pig and it´s not conclusive. You can do many scrappings before seeing mites that have been there all along. Since Ivermectin is very safe, have him dosed just in case. The treatment is usually repeated 3 times, 10 days apart. As a rule of thunb, when anything is going on with the skin, you treat with Ivermectin and ask questions later.

Can I also recomment you use animal shampoo, next time? Human shampoo, even baby shampoo, doesn´t have the right pH for animal skin. The best choice is to get a shampoo for kittens and make sure it has no insecticide/medecine in it.
Last edited by Evangeline on Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LynnK

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:38 am

Vicki from Jack Pine says to use Selson Blue but that is just for itching and no I have used that on Amigo maybe twice now. I will see my Vet in couple weeks and see what he says I do think it´s the stress of his malocclusion at least he is eating almost everything again. I will probably give him another bath next month. Thanks!