Arthritis advice

riskus

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:10 am

I read the sticky about arthritis but I wanted to make a post about my pig too.

My 5 year old boy is suffering from bad arthritis in his back two knees. We took him to the vet yesterday and he was xrayed and checked over thoroughly to confirm that he does have arthritis.

He was prescribed Meloxicam for pain as well as glucosimine and some antibiotics for another seprate issue.

Since returning from the vet it seems like his back legs have gotten worse. He can barely use them at all and they go out to the side when he trys to get around. Its really heart breaking to see him squirm like that.

As of yesterday afternoon he was still eating but I think the antibiotics he took curbed his apetite this morning. When I get home from work I am going to give him critical care to make sure he is eating.

He is getting vitamin c too. For whatever reason he has lost alot of weight over the last 2 years and I can only assume its do to pain since 2 seperate vets have not been able to determine anything from bloodwork and fecal tests. He is always eating so its not that he isnt. In any case I am not overly concerned with that part right now I just wanted to put it out there for background.

I am really concerned with his legs and his comfort and wonder what I can do to make him more comfortable. He is in a standard c&c cage with carefresh for bedding with two female cagemates that dont appear to be bothering him.

Now I am thinking I should seperate him and use something more consistent for flooring in the cage to make it easier for him to push himself around since it appears difficult for him to move on the carefresh. Im also going to lay him on a hot water bottle when I get home tonight in hopes that will relax him.

any advice?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:48 pm

Be sure to get a thorough oral exam, with an xray, to make sure malocclusion is not partly the cause of the weight loss.

www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html

riskus

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:04 pm

its not teeth. He was checked thoroughly and xrayed to make sure

This is all the stuff he is on right now

trimethaprin
meloxican
procosa
baytril
adequan

He has only been on it for a day so I guess I should wait longer to see how he reacts.

He is still pretty surly and seems more annoyed then anything but when he starts to squirm when he wants to move i want to die.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:13 pm

If he isn't getting relief from the Meloxicam, wait 24 hours and switch to Rimadyl. Some pigs do better on Rimadyl.

See if there is an animal physiotherapist in your area who can treat with lasers. I have 2 senior boars with severe arthritis in the back knees who do very well with lasering. Before and after xrays have shown the bone spurs have reduced in size.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:28 pm

How much metacam is he getting?

riskus

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:47 am

what is metacam?

Topaz

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:44 am

If it were me, I don't think I'd separate him from the girls. Sounds like he's already having a hard time of it and it may stress him even more. Maybe you could just make sure he has everything nearby him, within reach, and put some towels or fleece down.

The experts here may have a different suggestion but I'd feel bad taking him away from what's familiar.

I hope he starts showing some improvement.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:13 am

Sorry - Meloxican is metacam.

riskus

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:19 am

Thats what I thought but I wasnt sure. He is getting .01cc one time a day

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:29 am

I give my pigs 0.15cc per day at a very minimum, regardless of weight.

You can give 0.2cc for a 1kg pig.

He may need the higher dose (others have given even more).

riskus

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:44 am

My pig isnt big enough for too much more. He is under 600g.
No one has been able to determine why he lost so much weight the last year and a half.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:28 pm

I hope you can figure out if something more complicated than arthritis is going on. All that weight loss does sound worrisome. Despite his small size, 0.01 cc meloxicam/metacam still seems kind of low. I'd discuss it with your vet.

In the meantime, switching to bed him on fleece may help him get around more easily.