Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

scoot

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 6:13 am

When my pig was recovering from ovarian cyst surgery I picked her up by lifting her in something solid, rather than squashing her struggling body.

Anything the same size as the pig will do. I used the bottom half of a plastic igloo but any improvised tray/ cardboard box can be cut to give an walk in and an out ,with sides so they can't turn round.

This could then be tipped at an angle in ones lap so the pig then is standing on her back legs and gripping the front making it easier to capture the head between your hand and force the syringe into the unwilling mouth.

scoot

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 6:23 am

sorry double post don'tforget the comfy seat for you

somechick

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 9:23 am

Well I AM concerned about a/b intolerance. I've not had one pig who tolerated Baytril, not ONE. I said this to Dr. Brown last night and asked her what to do or how to know if she's not tolerating chlor, and you know what she said? "My advice to you is not to worry about it."

I'm so p*ssed about this whole thing. She's not going to give me another drug because I already talked about it all last night. She said she needs the chlor because she found stuff (she used a real word, not stuff, but I forget) in her ears that she doesn't normally see, and if it is teeth, it might be causing infections and problems in her ear/nose area. And the chlor will fight that.

And of course I ATTEMPT to call Dr. Duggan because I don't like any of this, and she has not once called me back. How aggressive can I be with her? Is she mad at me? Does she not want to call because Henry didn't go to her for the spay? WTF?

somechick

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 9:57 am

Well Dr Duggan left for maternity leave. So I don't know who to call or what to do.

Rascal

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 10:32 am

Wow this is a nightmare for you - did you know your vet would be going on maternity leave?

Why don't you try Dr.Doolen in Oakhurst. It is not much further than Red Bank. He should be in today & might at least be able to talk to you on the phone. He is very sympathetic. I have to warn you though that he is very against Chlor.

It sounds like Red Bank is being aggressive with the teeth & ears - I don't know why they would be though.

You said she is eating salad so that is good - give her whatever she likes - cater to her. I struggled with my bunny for a couple months & she is finally better. It is frustrating.

somechick

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 10:42 am

Well I knew she was pregnant, but she left due to an emergency so she wasn't supposed to leave now. Besides I called every day Tuesday-Thursday and didn't get a call back and she was still there then.

Maybe I'll try Dr. Doolen... can you mail me through the mailer his number? I guess my issue is I don't know who to listen to. The ones who did the spay or anyone else.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 11:01 am

It sounds as if she found a bad ear infection and prescribed chlor for that. Sometimes chlor is the only thing that will work with thick pus, so I assume that's why it was prescribed.

If an ear infection goes untreated it can be very serious, as you know.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 11:04 am

I don't know how far you drove to Red Bank but you can try Dr. Sedlacek at the Animal Clinic of Morris Plains or Dr. Schott at the Animal Hospital of Sussex Cty.

somechick

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 11:14 am

I'm in Ewing NJ, which is central NJ and right on the border of PA. Red Bank is one hour from me, across the state.

She never mentioned the words "ear infection" but she seems to think that there's something going on up in that area, possibly due to the teeth. Also it seems as if the eye goop might be back. But, from the way she talked, it seems as if they're prescribing the clor 'just in case' there's something going on up there. I don't know if we have proof. But at this point, I don't know what proof we have of anything!

Her belly also seems warm to me...which concerns me. I put in a call to Dr. Brown but on her voicemail it says she doesn't return calls until the late evening. I know no matter what vet I call today - if they haven't already seen Henry, they're not going to do much for me. I guess tomorrow I'll call Dr. Strunk at Red Bank and see if she wants to do anything.

I'll try calling these other guys mentioned here and see if they can do anything.

Capupebbles thread seemed a lot better than mine and she went to Red Bank.

pinta

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 1:53 pm

If she's still eating on her own, she may be tolerating the chlor. My experiences are that the pig will not eat and sits with the head in a corner all puffed up if crashing on an AB.

It would be a good idea to take her in for a recheck if you are concerned about the warm belly.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 4:15 pm

How is Henry doing this afternoon, SC?

somechick

Post   » Sat May 12, 2007 5:06 pm

Being still. She doesn't move at all it seems. She lives in her pigloo. She's not eating or drinking anything, which is the same as before she went in. We're feeding her, but it's taking an hour to get 10ccs in. She's fighting and being a total nightmare. She's eating lettuce.

Her poops are long, thin, broken off at the ends, and few and far between. She also seems to eat most of her poops. She has only peed twice today (both times on my sofa so I'm sure she's doing it out of spite). The thing I'm noticing is that when she does eat, it sounds different. It almost sounds as if her teeth are rubbing wrong. I don't know if it's my paranoia about the teeth making me think it sounds weird, but to me it does.

So, I guess she's the same this afternoon.

I don't know if I should be worried about the warm belly. It's not just the incision that's hot, it's the entire shaved part is warmer than the fur part.