Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

Smoskaly
Supporter in '09

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Regarding cranberry, I forgot to add that an ingredient in cranberries (mannose, or something like that) makes the bladder wall slippery, so bacteria can't adhere to the bladder wall. At least, that's what I've read.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Would critterberries not be enough? Because I give one of those daily. Is there a benefit of the juice over the treats? People have mentioned the cranberry juice before, but maybe I assumed (or it has been said, I can't remember at this point) that the critterberries are good too.

About your sticking to the wall comment -- is that what that link I referred to is talking about too? The "inhibits adherence" thing?

Smoskaly
Supporter in '09

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:12 pm

Sorry, not familiar with critterberries. Maybe someone else can comment. What are critterberries made of?

Yes, it sounds like the link you referred to was also talking about the bacteria not being able to adhere to the bladder wall.

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:47 pm

What critterberries consist of

I'm not sure there's a whole lot of cranberry in them.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Oh. Cranberry Extract powder seems to be the only mention of cranberry. Hmph. Well, maybe I'll grab some juice tonight. I guess I would get this kind of stuff at a health / natural food store?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:07 pm

It'll be a lot easier to find unsweetened at a health or natural food store. Most regular stores carry only sweetened.

Best wishes to Henry and to you. I wish I had something more useful than that to add.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:19 pm

Trader Joe's has a lot of unsweetened juices. I just bought blueberry-pomegranite (for myself).

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:29 pm

Trader Joe's are not near me, but from what I hear about them, I wish they were! There's one by my vet apparently, but since I drive that hour every other day of my life, I'm going to not do that today. There's a natural food store closer to my house, so I'll stop there first.

So, any specific amount to give her? Should I limit it to 1cc a day or should I let her go nuts? This is - if she'll actually take it.

Ledasmom

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:39 pm

If you can find fresh cranberries, it's worth trying those. I just found out that my pigs love them, although they are not allowed to have very many. Cutting them in half would probably make them easier to eat.

Smoskaly
Supporter in '09

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:55 pm

You could also try frozen cranberries, letting them defrost on the kitchen counter before giving them to the pigs. Mine learned to like them fairly quickly. Unfortunately, I don't know how much is an appropriate amount when trying to combat cystitis.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:37 pm

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:56 pm

I've drunk half a gallon of cranberry juice every day for the past three days and it has helped, but not cured, my UTI.