Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:49 am

The culture was done on the bladder, it's not showing up in the urine. So we're thinking we're not going to be able to tell if the E. Coli is ever gone; it would mean another incision. Yeah, sigh.

somechick

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:31 pm

So I think I've given up on the homeopathic vet. Tonight was the follow up visit. Not sure why I even went. We get there and she mentions acupuncture. Look, I don't know, I just don't buy the whole acupuncture thing. I don't think that it's going to fix the problem. But I humor her. Do you think for one second Henry is going to let her do this? No. Henry was all over the place, not cooperative and wriggling like nuts. I think she got, like, one teensy needle in. And it was over.

Then she goes on about supplements and prints out a list of Oxbow products and talks about Critterberries. I sigh and pay and leave.

Henry was crying more today. But she's been really good the past two weeks. I'm going to start monitoring what she eats when she cries. I've tried different veggies here and there but I'm going to start with just lettuce, and add one thing a week maybe, see what triggers it. Or maybe she's just having an off day. She's still on the Bactrim.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm

Ugh. Reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld where George and Jerry go to a holistic dude who asks Geoge if he eats dairy, and makes one or the other of them sit under a pyramid hat.

I think you're better off doing a food diary, like you said. Took me a while to notice that romaine was making Zachary bleed every single time I fed it. That, and apple.

somechick

Post   » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:54 pm

I think I'm at the point where I don't know when to be satisfied. Henry has gained a few ounces. Her all time low was 1.12, today she's hovering around 1.15 / 2 pounds. I tend to think this is wonderful news. But then begin to panic that she's got poop back-up or something else is going on. She is pooping, and eating. I haven't fed her critical care in 2 days, but am weighing her 2 times a day. I know I'm going nuts, but this is a good thing right?

Her crying is still there, but it's softer. She got worse with cilantro, so we've taken that out for now. She seems okay with peppers, carrots, and tomato (along with lettuces of course).

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:29 pm

I'm so glad Henry gained a little weight.

"But then begin to panic that she's got poop back-up or something else is going on."

It must be so hard to relax, after you've been through so much with her. I'm sending optimistically good thoughts your way!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:52 pm

Maybe you're like me, and you're just burned out. It's incredibly stressful always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Hard to appreciate the small victories when it seems there is always some new crisis waiting just around the corner.

As I type this, I have a sick hamster, Toby going to the vet on Thursday for unexplained weight loss, and Zachary gassy and passing tiny poops for no apparent reason. And I'm supposed to take a urine sample from Bassy to the vet this week, too, but am almost afraid to. Sometimes I think breeding pandas in captivity would be easier than trying to keep all 6 of these guys healthy at the same time.

As tracis said, you've been through so much to H-nug. It's natural to be cautiously optimistic about any improvement. Here's hoping the weight gain is just the beginning of more good things to come for you both. :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:42 pm

"Sometimes I think breeding pandas in captivity would be easier than trying to keep all 6 of these guys healthy at the same time."

*sprlft* LOL. How many of us can relate to that!!

This has happened with some of ours. My advice is just ... breathe. Don't feel good, or bad. Don't feel optimistic, or pessimistic. Just ... accept the improvement, and watch H-nug ... for continued improvement, for anything going downhill. Just accept it, and process it, for what it is. An improvement, and some stability. We like stability in our house. :-)

pinta

Post   » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:10 pm

I have had acupuncture done on the skinnies to help with their roached backs. The only difficulty was holding the pigs ion one position long enough for the needles to do what they were supposed to do. What was very useful was that the acupuncture points were the same points for lasering. We took pics of the pigs needled and the vet drew marking points on their backs(easy with skinnies) which we photographed and then gave the pics to their physio therapist who adjusted her lasering to the acupuncture points.

The roached backs really improved. So it wasn't so much the needles but stimulating the right spot.

Good thing too because it was much easier for me to get access to lasering than acupuncture and acupuncture required more frequent sessions. Pigs preferred it too.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:25 pm

Wow, I had never heard of having acupuncture done on a guinea pig until this thread.

Would acupressure be just as effective?

somechick

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:00 pm

The homeopathic vet does acupuncture and has a laser as well. But Henry was having none of it!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:59 pm

chii had acupuncture on Miss Pea.

somechick

Post   » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:45 am

Hi again. For the past few months things have been good. Appetite is up, no more crying or bleeding. All is well.

Then two week ago (right when we were going for a well visit for a change) there was a spot of blood in the cage. It was Henry of course. So we just started her on a course of Bactrim again since the only way we've been able to diagnose stuff is through invasive procedures. I'm generally okay with a spot of blood now and then if nothing else is different.

However, all this week Henry has been getting more and more aggressive with her cagemate Dudley. Henry used to be scared of her own shadow and so is Dudley so together they were best friends. Now all of a sudden Henry is seeking Dudley out, burring, nipping, and chasing. And today it's at it's worst. It's constant. Dudley is crying and no matter where she goes - or if she defends herself - Henry is ready to start again.

I want to assume it's not hormonal because Henry's been spayed. Henry is the instigator here, not Dudley. The only things that have been different since this fighting started are:

1) They were at the vet
2) Henry was on Bactrim
3) Dudley got some Baytril ear drops because there was lots of junk in there and we wanted to prevent ear infection. I originally thought Dudley was deaf, so I don't know if this has any bearing on D or H
4) I found something that looked like dead half-cricket in their hay (definitely from the hay and not my house)

Any ideas why the sudden aggression? Anything I can do to stop it? It's constant and Henry is acting quite nuts. Should I re buddy bath? Treat for mites? Send Henry to an exorcist?