Allergies

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:38 am

If a thin pig is in a cage alone it's must easier - you can throw all the veggies at them they can eat, such as carrots, small pieces of banana, corn (raw), and small amounts of oats mixed in with critical care.

moodysmom

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:33 pm

I have been handfeeding him with pellet mush for several days. He is eating hay and veggies well, but he was not touching his pellets for several days. Now that I am giving him it in mush, he is eating it up. Adding oats sounds like a good suggestion.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Just be aware of something I've learned from experience: if you handfeed a pig with teeth issues, then they don't grind those teeth down as quickly.

I recently had handfed a pig for some weeks, and during that time I had to have her front incisor (missing one) ground down several times. Now that she's eating by herself she can keep it ground down a little better.

moodysmom

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Had his teeth trimmed. The pet store recommended feeding nutri-cal for extra calories, but I am trepadacious. Any experience there?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:51 pm

No Nutri-Cal. It's for dogs and cats, and it's full of oils and sugars. As with most pet store recommendations, it's pure crap.

Critical Care is your best bet, along with Mum's suggestions, for extra calories.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:35 pm

Ditto Talishan. Nutrical is totally inappropriate for guinea pigs (can also cause problems due to an overdose of fat soluble vitamins).

moodysmom

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:08 pm

Thanks for confirming that. It just didn't ring right. He is doing well with pellet mush and oats (just a pinch), and he continues to eat hay (and enjoyed parsley this am). Still, I feel like it will be a long road to recovery.

moodysmom

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:04 am

I believe moody is now out of hte woods, but he is reluctant to eat pellets on his own now. He is still under drinking, but is able to drink from the water bottle. He seems to enjoy drinking from the syringe (perhaps because it takes less effort?). It reminds me of a baby who has nursed, but once being introduced to a bottle realizes that food is easier that way.

Is there a way to wean him from pellet mush effectively? He is chowing on his hay and any treats, but he will still go to his pellet bowl, sit at it as if he is going to eat and then turn away.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:16 pm

I offered pellets mixed in with critical care on a plate. There was the appetizing smell of the critical care with a little extra texture underneath. What size water bottle do you use? You can offer several small sizes instead of 1 large and also make sure you don't have a spring loaded bottle. They can be a lot harder to manipulate.

moodysmom

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:06 am

Okay, so Moody finishes his baytril today, but his wheeze has returned. His weight is stable at around 2 lbs 4 oz (although he still feels skinny and weak).

He continues on his dosage of .11mL twice daily of lasix (50mg/cc) and .25 cc twice daily of enalapril (a 2.5 mg tablet diluted in 1cc of water).

As you may recall, his wheezing, which has been a problem since May, stopped altogether after 5 days on Baytril. On the 21st day of baytril it has returned. His original set of x-rays in May showed a possible enlarged heart and clear lungs. His second set of x-rays beginning of August were inconclusive - there may have been some beginnings of water on the lungs, but it wasn't a very clear indication - the heart looked good.

Options? Opinions? I do note that he has returned to eating more timothy hay pellets. Actual Timothy hay has bothered him in the past - we now use orchard grass hay. Are there other pellet options than timothy hay (I won't use alfalfa after losing a rescue pig to a bladder stone probably caused by alfalfa pellets and other poor diets).

Is there another antibiotic? What happens when a pig is on baytril too long?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:36 am

If you want to rule out fluid in lungs as a cause of the wheezing, you could get another xray. Might also tell you how things are looking with the heart medications. You could also discuss adjusting the heart meds with your vet.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:37 am

finishes his baytril today, but his wheeze has returned.
Ditto on getting another xray. You may need to adjust the heart meds. Are you sure the lasix is 50mg/cc? If so, he's already getting 5mg/twice daily, which is a high dose.

I don't use enalapril, so I can't tell much about the dosage - but you might see if your vet will switch to lotensin, which is a newer and better drug (easier on the kidneys).