Scooter has lost weight

EllieMom

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 6:27 pm

Any word on little Scooter?

Dale197922

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 6:39 pm

Hey DaCourt you stole my pigies name. Well actually i may have stole your piggys name. Anyhow im glad to read that your pig is doing good just wanted to let you know thats my pigs name also.

DaCourt

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 8:07 pm

Just got back from the vet. We got the xrays done. Let's just say, they suprised Dr. R so much that he had 2 of the other vets come in and look at them too.

When he was doing the examination, he said his bet was on URI and heart, or both. He asked if there was any signs of pain when he peed or pooped. Just then Scooter peed and pooped on him without a sound being made. He said, well, that's a no. I told him that one of the things that crossed my mind was stones. He asked if there was ever any discharge or blood. I told him no. When I had put him in a cage by himself for those 2 days, I put dark fleece in for the 1st day (discharge) and light fleece the 2nd day (blood). I never saw anything.

So we were all surprised to see two large, pee sized stones in the xray. Not only that, but there is also a sack which has about 5 tiny little stones. He was very surprised he did not feel the 2 large ones, especially because of how think Scooter is. The other 2 vets held Scooter, felt for the stones, and could not feel them either. They are very high up. The sack is lower.

He wants to get some weight on Scooter before he operates. He is afraid he won't survive the surgery if he does it now. So, he is is back on Metacam and is also on Baytril. Yesterday, we aslo started him on poop soup with vit. B, acidophilus, and aluminum hydroxide. He is slowly getting a little of his appetite back. He is scheduled for next Tuesday to have them removed. I have to call Dr. R every 2 days to give him a progress report on his weight.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 8:38 pm

Glad you got some answers. I don't think palpation is reliable either. And if you are being too vigorous, you can injure the bladder. Trying to locate ovarian cysts by palpation can miss them.

I think the pain on peeing is often because stones are in the urethra itself.

cavykatie

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 8:40 pm

Sorry, I missed this thread originally. Sad to hear Scooter is having problems, hopefully recovery will be fast!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Ah - I thought you might find stones. In my experience drastic weight loss often seems to indicate them.

I do hope you can get him strong enough for the surgery.

What's the aluminum hydroxide for? (I'm not familiar with it).

Keeping my fingeres crossed here.

DaCourt

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 9:02 pm

Honestly, Mum...I am not sure. Nikki told me to get it for him. She uses it with her pigs. We figured out he had started losing weight after he wnet off metacam, so she thought he migh tbe having upset stomach. It is one of the active ingredients in products like Mylanta.

EDIT: Just found this link

http://www.gianteagle.com/healthnotes/D ... roxide.htm

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 9:21 pm

You think the metacam dulled the pain for a temporary time? Once it wore off, the stones were hurting and caused him to stop eating?

The AH can be helpful for pigs with kidney problems, and does something to excess calcium.

Good luck.

DaCourt

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 9:42 pm

Not sure Sus...just somthing Nikki was tossing around. She asked me when he went off the Metacam and when he started dropping weight. Just so happened his weight started dropping after he went off of it. He had dropped weight right after his teeth were done and was down to about 850. Over the next week he got as high as 965. He went off the Metecam on Tuesday, and that is when he started to drop again.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Is there a reason he isn't back on the metacam?

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 11:28 pm

So glad that you have an answer for his weight loss. My thoughts will be with him to gain weight and be strong for the surgery.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 12:18 am

He is back on Metacam. But now I have a question.

I was asked tonight about the shape of the stones and the location. They are perfectly round and a pretty good size. It was mentioned that because of the shape of these stones, along with the size and quantity of the smaller ones, that this is not a good sign.

I don't know enough about how stones form so I want to get everyone's opinion. I was told that this probably means he is in kidney failure, and that is may not be in his best interest to put him through the ordeal of surgery. Of course, I want to do what is best for Scooter, and not just for me. I don't want to put him through more than his small little body can handle. Dr. R is always very optimistic and I am sure in mind Scooter will be ok. But if we remove the stones, and if he is able to get all of them, then what? Am I just tormenting Scooter and causing him mroe pain in the long run?