Scooter has lost weight

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 10:40 pm

Did you have any bloodwork or urinalysis on him to see if he's in kidney failure?

Charybdis

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 12:12 am

Not at this time. Just want to clarify--we discussed kidney malfunction as one of several possible causes of the stones, because we have seen similar clusters of numerous perfectly round stones in pigs with kidney problems. DaCourt is very careful with her Ca:Ph ratio; therefore we discussed also mineral imbalance, bladder pH, and bladder tumors as well.

Because of Scooter's frail state, the number of stones, and problems posed by the possibility of removing multiple stones in the urethra as well as the bladder, I suggested that DaCourt seek other opinions before the surgery.

My fears are that the vet will get in there and either miss or not be able to get at some of the stones (which has happened) or that the volume of stones is an indication of a serious underlying problem and that recurrence is inevitable. Either way, lots of heartbreak for DaCourt and her daughter.

I hope someone can give her a more optimistic range of possibilities.

(DaCourt, you don't have to refer to me as someone in OCCH--they know who that is).

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 12:51 am

Candy also has a bunch (20-30) of tiny, perfectly round stones which Dr. R and my other vet are both puzzled by:

This is not where her bladder should be, so nobody wants to operate.

She seems to be comfortable, but I think the outcome isn't going to be a good one.

Sometimes all you can do is wait and see. I'm sorry you're going through this.

DaCourt

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 1:57 am

Chary....I just wanted to be careful in mentioning people by name. I always error on the side of caution.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 2:23 am

Mum.. that is a freaky xray! The bladder *should* but that faintly white oblong thing dorsal (towards the back) to the pile of stones. I was going to suggest that maybe those arent stones but theyre the same whiteness as the bone so theyre pretty solid.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 9:23 am

I think it's likely they're stones too.

Candy also has a bunch (20-30) of tiny, perfectly round stones

I think if they were removed, you would find that they are NOT perfectly rounded stones but instead a cluster of small, irregularly shaped stones with rough, pitted surfaces. Like mini-regular stones. There isn't enough detail in the xray to say they're perfectly rounded.

I wish I could lay my hands on a pic of a typical stone. I should track one down and put it on the stones page.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 9:27 am

Here's a pic of Muffin's stone:

There isn't enough detail in the xray to say they're perfectly rounded.
Actually, it was my vet who said that. They may not be, but this is how they look in a close view of the xray.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 10:04 am

Oh, thanks! Oh, and I found this one, too (from Trish):

Can I add yours to the site (will also add it to the stones page, if that's okay with you).

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 10:33 am

Sure you can.

DaCourt

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 11:13 am

Mum...was that xray from Dr. R? I would put a picture of my xray up if I had one. I am going to call Dr. R today.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 11:38 am

No, I had the xray done up here, photographed it, and emailed it to Dr. R for a second opinion.

I just bring my xrays home, tape them to a sunny window and take pics that way.

btw, the email I just sent you was returned to me - did you get it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 11:40 am

I'll add a link to it on the stones page (maintain size so one can see the detail). Also added Trish's pic to the stones page, renamed and cropped further the stone.jpg so it's easier to remember and show someone.

www.guinealynx.info/images/stone.jpg