Subcue questions

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 9:03 pm

What I would really like to do is to be able to videotape someone doing subcues. I think it would be very helpful to people. Wonder if I can find anyone in Virginia who can do it..

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 pm

YES! That would be fantastic. It could show how to tell if a pig is dehydrated; how to rig up the butterfly catheter; how to warm up the solution; how to pull up the skin with two fingers and find that elusive "tent" that they all talk about; some of the things that can go wrong (might want to use a stuffed animal for that part); etc.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 9:32 pm

I DO have a stuffed animal. Actually, that's all I have right now. Not sure it would work for what I have in mind.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 10:17 pm

Would CaveSpringPiggie consider it? We could have an auction to pay her something for it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 10:19 pm

She is precisely the person I was thinking of. No idea if she would be willing to do so but now I have a camera that can take closeup movies and would love to start putting together some crucial videos (some things are best viewed in motion, not with simple pics). I think I can add sound later (too hard to do it all at once).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Is there a reason why a needle marked 1" would be longer than another needle (from another manufacturer) marked 1"? Only difference is that one is a 20 gauge, and the other is a 22. The 20 gauge is shorter, for some strange reason.

?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 24, 2007 7:30 pm

I'm gonna take a truly WAG and say that one measures from the tip of the needle to the base, while the other measures from the tip of the needle opening (down on the slant) to the base.

Real WAG there.

pinta

Post   » Fri May 25, 2007 1:45 am

I shake the syringe with fluid after warming to make sure there are no hot spots or cold spots.

Too warm fluid causes them to go ballistic as well as too cool fluid. It should be body temperature and tested the same way you test the temp of a baby's bottle - inner wrist.

You may have hit a nerve or the needle may have been jabbing the skin from the inside.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri May 25, 2007 9:39 am

Thank you, Pinta. I think I did two things wrong -- warmed the solution too much (although it felt fine on my wrist, going "ballistic" is exactly what happened), and possibly also hit a nerve. I'm sticking with the thigh area from now on.

pinta

Post   » Fri May 25, 2007 4:01 pm

There is more loose skin at the scruff of the neck. If you are doing daily subcues keep moving the injection site around to avoid scar tissue build-up.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri May 25, 2007 4:03 pm

I definitely prefer butterflies. I find that the longer needles are much more difficult to use on pigs (much easier to go in one side and out the other), not to mention that it gives you no leeway if the pig starts moving.

To help reduce leakage, I always try to pinch the skin where the needle is at when I'm pulling the needle out or after I pull it out (depending on what the pig will let me do). It does help reduce the amount of leaking/bleeding, but I'll warn you now that pigs HATE being pinched, even the slightest little bit. I usually get more protesting screeches then than at any other point during the subq. Pulling up the skin to insert the needle is the runner-up.

Be super careful that you don't get your fluids too warm. Always squirt a little on your hand or arm to test before injecting. Cold fluids don't feel good, but too hot fluids would probably be like torture and likely cause tissue damage. Always err on the side of caution.

Also, ditto on what Josephine said about using a new needle for everything. Guinea pigs have very tough skin compared to other animals, so the sharper the needle, the better. Even just sticking it into the fluid bag to draw up the fluids dulls it a little IMO.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 25, 2007 7:53 pm

Always squirt a little on your hand or arm to test before injecting.

The inside of the arm (or wrist) is a good test point. Hands are very tolerant of heat and cannot judge temps as accurately.

If you've raised kids, you know to use the tender inside of your arm and never trust the hand for checking bath temps. I never used baby bottles but one always sprinkled some milk on the inside of the arm to ensure it was not too hot.