Stella's Medical Thread

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:12 pm

I seem to remember using the higher dose. Somewhere there's a very old thread about somebody using much, much more. This made me decide that the higher end of this dosing recommendation was probably ok!

Don't forget it must be given with oil to be absorbed properly.

SStroh

Post   » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:16 pm

Yeah, I figured I'd get some flax seed oil when we got back to dose it with. Maybe I'll go ahead with the 90mg/kg dosing. I did see on one thread where they said something about having used a huge amount. I just hope it get's here quickly!

Thanks again!

Maja

Post   » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:06 am

I have a pig who had very stubborn fungal infection that I couldn't clear up for 3 months. It was really bad, half of her back were red and inflammated and she couldn't keep her eyes wide open because she had fungus all around.

I tried numerous antifungal creams and treated her with Ivermectin. In the end, I ordered Program from Canada (and I live in Serbia). In the meanwhile, I decided to try a new antifungal cream- Lamisil (1% terbinafine). It worked wonderfully! By the time I got Program, the infection cleared up, so I never got to use Program. It took 10 days for Lamisil to get rid of the fungus.

SStroh

Post   » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:03 pm

Well, we got back from vacation on Wednesday night (late Wednesday night), and Stella has gotten worse. She's got a new spot on her back, and her head is a lot worse, as well as the spot on her side. The Program arrived while we were gone, and the Revolution arrived yesterday.

She's also lost a little weight (She's down to 840g from 875g), but she seems to be eating fine. I got some critical care from the vet and I've been giving her some with her dinner.

She also had a huge scab on her head when we got back, which the pet sitter had told me about, but it seems to have come off and now she just has a pink spot on her head where the scab used to be.

I've given her the Program already at 90mg/kg, but I just found another thread that said that the dose for fungus can be as high as 270mg/kg, so next time I may give her more. We did a shot of ivermectin on Thursday because the Revolution wasn't supposed to be here until next week, so I'm waiting on that.

How long do I need to wait before giving her the Revolution? I was thinking 7 days, and the vet says we might be able to get away with only 5.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:03 pm

A pink spot sounds good. Scabs do fall off. I am so hoping the Program and/or Revolution help her. Depending on her level of pain, I might be tempted to go with your vet recommended 5. 7 should certainly be fine, should you choose to wait.

SStroh

Post   » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:11 pm

I think I will go with 5. I wish we hadn't done the ivermectin now, but I know if we had waited the Revolution wouldn't have showed up so quickly...

I'm also going to do another lymdyp tonight, something has to work eventually. I've been contemplating taking her to another vet up in Beaverton that is actually on your list of recommended vets, but I've already spent over $700 at this vet and am not looking forward to starting all over.

I'll take some more pictures later and post them to show how this has progressed so far.

SStroh

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:34 pm

A bit of an update. I have given Stella one dose of program and one dose of Revolution so far. The revolution was just last night, and the program was given almost a week ago. I'm not seeing any improvement yet, but it's still early so I haven't given up hope completely.

Here's some new pics

This looks like she might have gotten chelitis, although it could just be the same stuff that's on her head, I'm not sure...

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see what she thinks about this stuff on her nose

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone can think of anything I may have missed. If the program and revolution don't work we're kind of out of ideas other than steroids, and my vet really doesn't want to risk steroids without knowing what this is...

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:37 pm

Poor Stella. I hope something starts working for her soon.

She is very lucky to have you caring for her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:00 am

She does look better. I can only reiterate the things your trying and the cheilitis page in the guide for other ideas.

Thanks so much for the update. I think about her and really hope for the day this is cleared up.

Topaz

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:09 am

That poor little Stella girl. :( It certainly does look like the pictures of cheilitis I've seen. I hope her treatments start to kick in and she feels better soon.

SStroh

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:49 pm

Well last week at the vet we did a blood test, and I just got off the phone with the results.

Her liver enzymes are down a bit, which the vet said not to worry about.

Her Kidney function is down just a little bit, which could be due to a number of things, including dehydration, and it's possible that she's not absorbing nutrients in her intestines as well as she should be- The Dr. recommended using some Bene-bac for a while to see if it helps, and possibly syringing fluids.

And finally, her White blood cell count was hugely high, like 31000. This seemed to puzzle the vet, because she wasn't expecting it to be so high.

Since Stella seems to be improving she doesn't want to do anything new right now, but she wants to repeat the blood test in a couple weeks to see if the white cell count has gone down any. It seems to me that this means there must be an infection somewhere, so doing nothing isn't going to help.

The other thing she mentioned was skin cancer, but she said that she hasn't found any references for this in guinea pigs, and there is a specific cell that she would expect to be high if this was cancer, and it's not (she didn't say what it was, or if she did I didn't write it down).

Does anyone have any idea what the way high WBC count means? Or maybe this is just normal range for an infection?

SStroh

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:47 pm

I got a popcorn out of my Stella girl today!!

It was just a little one, but a popcorn none the less. Maybe this means she is starting to feel better?