Stella's Medical Thread

SStroh

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:15 am

Thanks for all the help! I'd be lost without this board :-)

I guess I'll just give this a shot this evening when I get home. Wish me luck...

SStroh

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:04 pm

It's official. Stella hates me and thinks she's being tortured...

I did the sulfur dip, and she is not happy, but I think her ears look better already (probably just wishful thinking). The only problem is now my hands reek of sulfur, and I don't know how to get rid of it! I would also like to dry Stella, but the blow dryer must bother her ears, as she flips out every time I try it, and I can't wipe her off because the dip needs to soak in. All considered it actually went fairly smoothly, she didn't seem to mind the initial bath, and she only shook out a little bit when I put the sulfur dip on her.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:16 pm

Good for you!

(Wear rubber gloves next time - your hands will stink for awhile, as will Stella!)

SStroh

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:11 am

I don't know what to do anymore. It's been a couple days since the lymdyp, and she's still getting worse. This is spreading off of her ears and to the rest of her body. Her head is almost completely bald, and she has a bald patch behind her left front leg.

Right after the lymdyp I thought it looked better, but it quickly went back to the way it was before. Just now she was scratching and she must have scratched herself too hard and she started to squeal and just sat there with her head tilted, squealing.

I am completely lost. She is on baytril, torb and metacam, as well as the lymdyp once a week and nothing is helping. I don't know what to do anymore...

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:01 am

"Her head is almost completely bald, and she has a bald patch behind her left front leg."

Oh, poor Stella.

I'm no expert, but your statement reminded me of another thread. Does anything in this thread seem similar to Stella's problem?

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... highlight=

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:22 am

Have you tried revolution?

Was she tested for ringworm?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:40 pm

How horribly discouraging. And your vet has no more ideas? No bacteria? Nada?

I can still only suggest doing small experiments on sections of the skin. Continue ivermectin or change to Revolution. Read again the page on cheilitis and apply fungal, antibacterial, anti-yeast preparations. Watch for any signs of improvement. And try the Program too (this is what finally worked for the other pig's problem - though yours looks like it could be different).

I am so terribly sorry you are not seeing results.

SStroh

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:39 pm

Stella's ears look like the pictures on the other thread, but where her hear is falling out her skin is perfectly smooth. Other than the places she scratches herself, there is nothing actually on the skin.

My vet is not open on the weekends, so I can't do anything until Monday, but I am going to call her and see what the next step should be.

She wasn't tested for ringworm, but the fact that Shasta still doesn't have anything rules out a lot of things, I think. If it was fungal, bacterial or mites I would think that Shasta would have gotten it by now.
EDIT: they did a fungal culture when they did the biopsy and nothing showed up, would that have shown ringworm?

I'm thinking of ordering the revolution, right now it couldn't hurt. Can revolution and program be used at the same time?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:45 pm

You have to do a specific test for ringworm, and it takes at least 10 days to grow out a culture - sometimes more.

I don't know if you're supposed to use Revolution and Program at the same time, but I've done it.

Check with Josephine to be sure.

SStroh

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:56 pm

I just did a search and found a thread where she says they can be used at the same time here

Maybe I'll talk to the vet about that on Monday. I'm kind of afraid to try too many more drugs, even if they're different I'm afraid of over-medicating her, but I don't think I have a choice anymore.

My original thought when this started was mites, but when the Ivermectin didn't work we moved on. I guess it's time to try something stronger and see what happens.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Yes, it's fairly safe. At this point you just want relief. Ditto on the specific tests. Generally a vet will have an idea what he/she wants to test for and that's all that is run (this is standard). If it is fungal, some of the topical fungal preparations should have an effect also.

SStroh

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:45 pm

I did try monistat before I even took her to the vet the first time. The biggest problem is that she will not let me touch her ears at all without having a fit, and even when I could get it on there, it still continued to get worse. Because of this, and the stuff the vet said, I kind of figured it's most likely not fungal, but I'm willing to try anything right now.

I'm going to go ahead and order some program and revolution, and I'm also going to continue the lymdyp. I'll talk to my vet Monday and see if she has any other suggestions.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I was starting to feel a little bit hopeless.