Emergency-- meds and dosages for bloat

amy m guinea

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:16 pm

Yay for poops - so glad to hear to great news about Perriwig.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:13 pm

Our entire treatment plan is based on Dr. Kamaka's recommendations. The Reglan and Simethicone dosages, tapping his stomach to remove gas, the five days of treatment and the diet recommendations. I should give her a call back and ask if probiotics should be added. I think the other vet told me to use them, but I don't recall Dr. K saying anything about it, so I haven't been using any.

Perriwig is still doing great today. He sure puts up a fight with his injections now. He's also getting treated like royalty as he's being carted to and from work with me every day (and getting to hang out in the air conditioning!). He has his own little cage setup there and everyone dotes on him all day. He's loving the attention, but he's mad that he can't have veggies. Normally when I have a pig with me at work for some reason, everyone shares fruit and veggies with them. They'll go down to the store specifically to bring back a treat for the pig. Poor Pigwig.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:32 pm

That is indeed wonderful new!
And all that extra love and attention from everyone at work can't hurt either. :)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:51 pm

So glad that Perriwig is doing better! He sure has a strong spirit. I hope he's able to eat veggies soon. :)

I hope Dr. Kamaka will post the suggested treatment and results on VIN. Some vets (such as my local vet) do not like to try new things unless they can locate them on VIN.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:21 pm

You can also ask her if she'd like to write anything up for GL. I would be happy to add a protocol for the treatment of bloat (along with your personal experiences).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:26 pm

Please ask her if she'd like to write up anything documenting her protocol for bloat for GL. That would be wonderful. I second Tracis' suggestion of her posting to VIN if she is willing to, also.

My vet did a rough modification of her rabbit stasis protocol for guinea pigs. It's at home, and I will bring it in and add what she modified for a cavy. If Dr. Kamaka would be willing to review that as well, that too would be wonderful.

Bloat is bad enough, but if full-fledged stasis can be prevented or headed off, so much better.

maremma

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:32 pm

Oh wonderful news! I am so glad he is doing so well! Good boy Perriwig!

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:44 pm

I just spoke to Dr. Kamaka. She had never heard of GL, but I gave her the address to look up and she said she will. She was extremely enthusiastic about writing up some info for us to post about bloat and is glad to give permission for GL to post her info on the site. I told her that there's no huge rush, but it sounds like she's very excited about this and will get a good writeup to us before too long. I thanked her again for all of her help with Perriwig and we even chatted a little about Harry Potter. :) I will definitely consider visiting her practice in the future even though they're not the closest exotics practice in the area. I believe that she's impressed me even more than Dr. Dan. Her attitude is a huge plus, and she seems so knowledgeable on top of that. I'll email Lynx with her info when I hear from her.

And in the meantime, if you read this, Dr. K... THANK YOU again! You are truly an excellent vet. There is no doubt in my mind that Perriwig would not be alive if it were not for your expertise and willingness to consult with me. Pictures of the happy, recovered piggy to come...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:24 pm

Talishan, chii, I'd be happy to add anything they can provide.

It would be nice to credit them and add contact information for their veterinary clinics (see the heart page and Dr. Beeder and Dr. Ridgeway's comments).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:17 pm

My veterinarian's modified protocol, labeled "Doses for average 2 lb. guinea pig":

1. Critical Care, pellet slurry mixed with vegetable baby food, or similar: 15 mL every 6 hours

2. Subcutaneous fluids: 100 mL daily

3. Simethicone: 0.2 mL every 12 hours. No concentration given, although every infant simethicone preparation I have looked at has been the same concentration. I don't like to assume "standard", but believe my vet probably is.

4. Reglan 0.5 mg/kg orally every 8 hours. She has specified 0.5 mg = 0.5 cc every 8 hours. Thus, the concentration she uses is 1 mg/mL.

5. Trimethoprim sulfa 30 mg/kg orally every 12 hours, if indicated.

6. Warmth for abdominal discomfort; heating pad or other warm contact surface, as long as the guinea pig can get off it if s/he gets too warm.

My own personal notes (NOT my vet's):

1. I agree with Maremma that simethicone can be helpful in mild cases, but may do more harm than good in severe cases. Our experience has shown if it helps, it helps noticeably and virtually immediately. If it doesn't, it doesn't and don't bother. You could be making the problem worse.

2. We didn't discuss flunixin meglumine (Banamine); she suggested using Metacam for pain relief. I personally would use Metacam in stasis, and perhaps consider butorphanol in bloat. I would NOT use butorphanol in stasis since the GI tract is already slowed or stopped. This is my opinion only.

3. We discussed AB use only if the pig shows evidence of becoming toxic or septic, and that injectable. Otherwise you may be making part of the problem worse in attempting to make another better. Our opinion only.

Dr. Kamaka's opinion on this would be VERY much appreciated!

maremma

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:23 am

How is Perriwig doing? I have been worrying about him.

Have you begun adding acidophilus or benebac to his regime? I cannot say for sure if it will help all bloat guineas but I do know it is a necessary component to helping Sweetpea.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:59 pm

Perriwig was fine. Until last night. He is now gone. It had nothing to do with the bloat. He was fine. There was a horrible freak accident while he was with me yesterday since I had decided to take him to the clinic for the day so I could keep an eye on him. I'll never forgive myself for that decision. We stopped off at my friend's house after work and while he was "safely" shut in the bathroom so that neither her dogs or cats could bother him (his carrier is soft-sided), somehow one of the god damn dogs got in and killed him. We didn't even hear it happen. I walked into the bathroom and found him. I am an absolute mess. I HAVE to get this out of my head, but I can't. I nearly drove myself insane last night imagining what he must have gone through. I can't stop crying since last night. I can't even bear to go in and see the other pigs; I've been making Zac take care of them. This should NOT have happened. For god's sake, HE SURVIVED BLOAT.

You read about things like this on GL and think that it would never happen to you because you never take your pigs outside and you're always SO careful. The door WAS shut by the last person who was in that bathroom. But none of us ever even comprehended the fact that the handle was the lever type. I'm certain that the dog smelled him or heard him in there and pawed at the door enough to pull the lever. It only takes a little pressure and the door unlatches.

I don't think I can ever forgive myself for taking him over there. There are so many factors that could have prevented what happened. I really can't talk about it anymore, but I knew people would be asking about him and I have to tell you all what happened. But I don't think I'll be back again for a while. No amount of being told that it wasn't my fault or but look at all the good I did for him while he was alive will ever change the fact that he probably suffered a terrible, violent death that should never have happened.

I'm sorry for a tragic ending to a wonderful story of survival. It doesn't even seem real, does it?