Emergency-- meds and dosages for bloat

amy m guinea

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:53 am

Oh my god, I am so so sorry and shocked. Do not blame yourself. I can't believe this - you did everything for him. I wish we could help you feel better, but know we all feel for you.

I wish the pain we feel could take some of your pain away.

Damn, I know life isn't fair but this is just so horrible for you.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:23 am

I am so sorry, Chiizi.

We are sending the love and a tiny bit of peace to you.

PigWorrier

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:44 pm

Thank you for sharing even though it must have been terribly painful to write that out...you could have very well saved future piggies lives sharing what happened...because we all will think twice when a closed room seems safe.
I am very sorry. I know words cannot help ease your pain..

amptondooz

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:49 pm

Chii, I never saw this earlier. I'm so so sorry. That makes it 5 pigs in the last few days.

amy m guinea

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:51 pm

Chii, I hope you read this.

I learned in my lab animal class that researchers have leaned that when prey animals are being attacked and know they are going to die, they die right then. They don't feel anything physical. They feel the fear very briefly, then the process takes over and they die quickly and painlessly.

There is a name for this, and I've tried to find it in my notes, but it is a documented fact.

Our teacher gave us the example of when a deer is jumped on by a lion, right then it doesn't feel anything and dies quickly. This is why sometimes birds can die from fear, and rabbits.

I know you are in horrible pain, but I hope this might help you believe and know Perriwig went quickly due to this process.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:12 pm

Thank you all for the kind comments, and amy m, I'm glad to read what you wrote. I'm doing better and trying not to dwell on what happened. Once I could finally stand to see the other pigs again, I've been spending more time with them and giving them extra veggies and love. I feel like I need to make up for what happened because of my poor decisions. I can't make it up to Perriwig, so I'm trying to do extra special things for the other pigs in his honor.

I still haven't been able to deal with his body. The thought of seeing it again terrifies me. Once his remains are cremated, however, my friends who were present and those who knew and loved Perriwig are all going to meet for a little ceremony for him. If I can think of a fitting place, we'll scatter his ashes there. I hope that he can rest in peace.

I don't know if I mentioned before, but the dog in question did not belong to my friend. She was taking care of him while his owners were out of town. At the time, I really didn't care one bit if she told the owners or didn't as it wouldn't change anything. I never even mentioned the possibility to her, but she decided on her own that she should so that they would have that knowledge should they ever be in a situation where small animals may be present or if they ever wanted to adopt a small pet of their own. I hadn't thought of telling them for that reason, so I'm glad she did. I've never met them, but my friend said they were very sorry and offered to buy a pig to replace him. She promptly explained to him about my rescue work and told him the thought was appreciated, but I wouldn't want that. Now at least they know about small animal rescue and are aware that their dog should not be trusted around small animals. Not that any dog ever should be.

I had a nice talk with one of our vets about what happened and she told me a story about how many years ago her ferret killed her bird (a rescue that had survived a leg amputation and a flight from Hawaii to come live with her). She sounded still heartbroken about it even now. It did make me feel better though to know that even the best and most knowledgeable of us can't always forsee things that may happen. It will still take a long time to forgive myself for this, though, if I ever can.

Thank you all again.

lisam

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:25 pm

I'm so sorry. I hadn't been coming to emergency for awhile, and missed this.

I think eventually you will forgive yourself--I was responsible for the death of one of my horses a long time ago. I feel sadness, but the horrible guilt is gone.

Again, I'm sorry.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Thank you, lisam. I feel sorry for anyone who has to go through any even remotely similar situation. It's something I've read about many times but never thought would happen to me.

I'm surprised that I'm handling this as well as I am now. I initially thought I could never stand to have pigs again and didn't know how I'd handle dealing with the ones we have now. I didn't think I could stand to come back to GL again to this thread or any other part of the forums. But something clicked in me the other night that "life has to go on, and I have to do the best I can do. I can't let this affect the other pigs that need me." I don't mean to make myself sound like a saint... I'm not. I will never forget that little pig's broken body for as long as I live, and I will never forget the fact that if it weren't for me, he wouldn't have been there. But I can either let this stop me in my tracks or I can learn a lesson from it and go on. After talking to several people and having a few days to process it, I decided it has to be the latter. Otherwise what happened all happened for naught.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:40 pm

A couple of years ago, my husband and I had a little dwarf hamster named Misha. My husband was absolutely in love with her. She would give him little kisses on his nose, and sat in his pocket. Pretty little white girl with a gray stripe down her back.

Anyway, one evening my husband told me that he thought we had mice again because he had heard something running around in the kitchen. We were having issues with mice at the time, and I was so scared one might get into the cage with Misha, that I unthinkingly put out a snap trap to catch it. That night, after I had gone to bed, my husband woke me up crying and absolutely beside himself. To our horror, Misha had somehow escaped from her cage, and the "mouse" running around had been her. She was killed in the trap.

It took a very long time before I could stop blaming myself and accept that sometimes things happen despite our very best, most loving intentions.

Sending more hugs to you, chii.

amy m guinea

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:18 pm

Chii, I'm glad you found the strength to come back. Other's stories let you know this could happen to anyone, we who care for our animals so very much. I'm glad to hear about your friend's planned ceremony, it's wonderful they realize how much Perriwig meant to you.

I'm sorry for anyone in this situation, it could happen to anyone, sadly.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:10 am

Chii, I'm so sorry this happened to you who are such a caring person. Unfortunately, we can't control every situation all the time. We can't anticipate everything.

Be well, heal and remember the other babies who still need you.

amy m guinea

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:11 am

I found the term in my notes "prey myopathy" as the prey goes down adrenalin is released and kills the prey before the predator does.