Sebastian Thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:43 pm

Crap. The 2x daily dose is messing up his motility. He's producing small poops with the classic "bubble" on the end, and showing signs of dehydration. I'm running by the vet's office shortly and picking up a bag of Ringers; they're not open today, but as luck would have it, the vet is stopping by there this evening to check on an overnight patient.

Does lack of motility cause dehydration?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:00 pm

I didn't think so. Sounds like it might be not enough food (also a cause of small poops). I know you are doing your best.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks, Lynx. He has also dropped an ounce, after maintaining his lower weight for weeks. I guess we're back to Metacam until our appointment on Wednesday. We want another xray, and are going to talk to our vet about where the heck we go from here.

Managed to get 10cc's of Ringers into him. Hopefully that will help a little.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:22 am

Hugs for Bassy. I hope he's feeling a little better.

somechick

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:54 am

I asked my vet about all these drugs too. She said basically what Josephine said. She'd give me a dose of the torb (she would only give it to me by injection though) but thought it would make Henry too dopey. She prefered the Bupronex as well because it lasts longer and, while it still has the dopey problem, it wouldn't be as bad as torb.

Honestly, nothing I put Henry on at this point is reliving the painful pee situation. She's been on the Shilintong for a few days too and nothing.

I know what you mean about being scared to make the wrong choice. I feel that way about Henry. If I knew then what I know now... I always end up blaming myself when things go wrong, but I really do try my best. As do you. Whatever decision you make, it'll be for the good of Bassy. It's hard to see that if it doesn't turn out well though, I hear ya.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:46 pm

His poops are mushy today and still pretty small, and are sticking inside the anal sac. He's crying, too, but I'm afraid to give him anything for the pain that will worsen the GI problem. Should I wait and start Metacam when his poops look more normal?

Hating myself for going to a twice daily dose on the Torb. At least he had nice, big healthy poops before. Now this is just one more thing the poor guy has to deal with. :(

somechick

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:19 pm

I only ask this because I don't know -- can you *not* give Metacam with smushy poops? Because if so, I've not been following that rule. Does Metacam mess up the GI system as much as torb? Henry hasn't had problems with it so for *her* I'd put her on it even if her poops weren't perfect. In fact the other day her poops were nasty, but she was on Metacam. They're fine today.

So for me, I'd do it. But if there's an actual reason not to, then definitely don't listen to me.

Also you have an appointment this week right? So your vet will know something too.

pinta

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:24 pm

Almost lost a pig to enteritis(? might have misses a syllable - endo?)this past week. Vet said she was going septic. Bad diarrhea. Went on Clindamycin daily injections(does same thing as Flagyl but is injected and is good for 24 hours) and baytril and one dose of bismuth at the clinic and oxygen as needed. Also twice daily 20cc hydration subcues

Vet also gave me Diarsanyl, an oral paste for dogs and cats that she found worked very well on rabbits. It's a nutritional supplement as an aid in coating the intestinal mucosa. Can't OD them on it and Dervish seemed to like it. Vet felt it would help in poop forming. She got it twice a day.

Dervish pulled thru - the med regimen seemed to turn her around immediately. I think the Diarsynal did a lot towards getting her poops back. Might work for Henry and Sebastian

She was so bad off the vet prescribed prayers and I don't think she's religious.

Dervish is also a heart pig but only on Fortekor, not on any NSAIDs. Now we just have to get her weight up so she can go for her final planing for elongated roots.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:40 pm

Diarsanyl has di-tri-octrahedral smectite in it. I've been talking about Biosponge for a couple of years now. I believe it is amazing for diarrhea and enteritis. I saved a pig myself in the past year with it. Not surprising knowing how it absorbs the endotoxins from clostridium. Diarsanyl is a canine and feline specific product that is artificially flavored. I have been using the Biosponge since it is only di-tri-octrahedral smectite and water. Tastes like mud no matter which product you use (in my opinion). Thank goodness cavies only need a small amount. Syringing it into a dog is VERY fun (NOT)!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:50 pm

Diarsanyl's manufacturer's site, Vetoquinol
Diarsanyl is made by a company with a Canadian division, so it might be more accessible for Canadians than the Biosponge. Diarsanyl is readily available in the US and other countries as well.

Platinum Performance is a US company and I don't think right now it is as widely distributed, although I'm sure they would ship anywhere.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:07 pm

I have a tube of BioSponge. It shows that it expired a month ago. Is it still good, do you suppose?

Bassy doesn't have diarrhea...but the poops are small and very soft. Damn; really wish I hadn't gone the Torb route.

Can he have Metacam this evening, with soft, small poops?