Sebastian Thread

sef1268

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:43 pm

Crap. The 2x daily dose is messing up his motility. He's producing small poops with the classic "bubble" on the end, and showing signs of dehydration. I'm running by the vet's office shortly and picking up a bag of Ringers; they're not open today, but as luck would have it, the vet is stopping by there this evening to check on an overnight patient.

Does lack of motility cause dehydration?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:00 pm

I didn't think so. Sounds like it might be not enough food (also a cause of small poops). I know you are doing your best.

sef1268

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks, Lynx. He has also dropped an ounce, after maintaining his lower weight for weeks. I guess we're back to Metacam until our appointment on Wednesday. We want another xray, and are going to talk to our vet about where the heck we go from here.

Managed to get 10cc's of Ringers into him. Hopefully that will help a little.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:22 am

Hugs for Bassy. I hope he's feeling a little better.

somechick

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:54 am

I asked my vet about all these drugs too. She said basically what Josephine said. She'd give me a dose of the torb (she would only give it to me by injection though) but thought it would make Henry too dopey. She prefered the Bupronex as well because it lasts longer and, while it still has the dopey problem, it wouldn't be as bad as torb.

Honestly, nothing I put Henry on at this point is reliving the painful pee situation. She's been on the Shilintong for a few days too and nothing.

I know what you mean about being scared to make the wrong choice. I feel that way about Henry. If I knew then what I know now... I always end up blaming myself when things go wrong, but I really do try my best. As do you. Whatever decision you make, it'll be for the good of Bassy. It's hard to see that if it doesn't turn out well though, I hear ya.

sef1268

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:46 pm

His poops are mushy today and still pretty small, and are sticking inside the anal sac. He's crying, too, but I'm afraid to give him anything for the pain that will worsen the GI problem. Should I wait and start Metacam when his poops look more normal?

Hating myself for going to a twice daily dose on the Torb. At least he had nice, big healthy poops before. Now this is just one more thing the poor guy has to deal with. :(

somechick

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:19 pm

I only ask this because I don't know -- can you *not* give Metacam with smushy poops? Because if so, I've not been following that rule. Does Metacam mess up the GI system as much as torb? Henry hasn't had problems with it so for *her* I'd put her on it even if her poops weren't perfect. In fact the other day her poops were nasty, but she was on Metacam. They're fine today.

So for me, I'd do it. But if there's an actual reason not to, then definitely don't listen to me.

Also you have an appointment this week right? So your vet will know something too.

pinta

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:24 pm

Almost lost a pig to enteritis(? might have misses a syllable - endo?)this past week. Vet said she was going septic. Bad diarrhea. Went on Clindamycin daily injections(does same thing as Flagyl but is injected and is good for 24 hours) and baytril and one dose of bismuth at the clinic and oxygen as needed. Also twice daily 20cc hydration subcues

Vet also gave me Diarsanyl, an oral paste for dogs and cats that she found worked very well on rabbits. It's a nutritional supplement as an aid in coating the intestinal mucosa. Can't OD them on it and Dervish seemed to like it. Vet felt it would help in poop forming. She got it twice a day.

Dervish pulled thru - the med regimen seemed to turn her around immediately. I think the Diarsynal did a lot towards getting her poops back. Might work for Henry and Sebastian

She was so bad off the vet prescribed prayers and I don't think she's religious.

Dervish is also a heart pig but only on Fortekor, not on any NSAIDs. Now we just have to get her weight up so she can go for her final planing for elongated roots.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:40 pm

Diarsanyl has di-tri-octrahedral smectite in it. I've been talking about Biosponge for a couple of years now. I believe it is amazing for diarrhea and enteritis. I saved a pig myself in the past year with it. Not surprising knowing how it absorbs the endotoxins from clostridium. Diarsanyl is a canine and feline specific product that is artificially flavored. I have been using the Biosponge since it is only di-tri-octrahedral smectite and water. Tastes like mud no matter which product you use (in my opinion). Thank goodness cavies only need a small amount. Syringing it into a dog is VERY fun (NOT)!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:50 pm

Diarsanyl's manufacturer's site, Vetoquinol
Diarsanyl is made by a company with a Canadian division, so it might be more accessible for Canadians than the Biosponge. Diarsanyl is readily available in the US and other countries as well.

Platinum Performance is a US company and I don't think right now it is as widely distributed, although I'm sure they would ship anywhere.

sef1268

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:07 pm

I have a tube of BioSponge. It shows that it expired a month ago. Is it still good, do you suppose?

Bassy doesn't have diarrhea...but the poops are small and very soft. Damn; really wish I hadn't gone the Torb route.

Can he have Metacam this evening, with soft, small poops?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:48 pm

Yes. Metacam is contraindicated with diarrhea or GI bleeding since it is an NSAID and those signs are potentially caused by the Metacam itself.

I suspect the Biosponge may be helpful for repopulating the GI flora or at least restabilizing it. If it is expired, I'm sure it's still good--but maybe dried out a bit. It is only clay and water.

Zoe

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:32 pm

Buttercup is pooping nicely now after well over a week of no poops in the cage at all. For Buttercup, he wasn't eating anything at all except what I syringed him... so keep the Critical Care going in.

Come on Sebastian. You can do this.

Sorry I'm not more helpful, besides the cheering.

sef1268

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks, Zoe. I'm so glad Buttercup is making those lovely poops! Ata boy, Buttercup.

Josephine, I was wrong -- the Bio-Sponge doesn't expire until November (I must have been thinking of the Ivermectin I have on hand). And it won't constipate him, right? I'm not altogether sure I understand how this stuff works.

Went ahead and gave him .2cc's for starters. Should I just wait and see if there is any improvement by morning, or would you suggest repeating the dose right before bedtime? He has made 1 poop in the past half hour, and it's almost 1/2 usual size. His appetite is still good.

Can I give Bene-bac, too (which I gave him yesterday), or is that over-kill?

Will be giving him his evening feeding of CC shortly.

ETA: Once the Bio-Sponge has been opened, what is the shelf life?

sef1268

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:48 pm

And stupid question, but Bio-Sponge doesn't work "instantly," does it? Because, I gave him a dose, came downstairs to update my post and mix his Critical Care - maybe 10 minutes or so - and when I went back upstairs to get him, he had produced two large, firm poops and made another one while I was feeding him. I'm thrilled, but surely the Bio-Sponge doesn't work that fast, does it??

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:08 pm

It does seem fast. Transit time is normally 24 hours or so, no? I think there is some data on the impaction page.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:43 pm

How is Sebastian today?

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:01 pm

Transit time IS more like 24 hours. Perhaps he was on his way to being well before you started it? In any event, Oreo envies Sebastian!

sef1268

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:38 pm

Well, Bassy is going in tomorrow morning for surgery. I'm a nervous wreck tonight.

We went in late this afternoon for another xray, and the bladder stone had gotten even bigger and there is now a massive amount of sludge/crystals showing up in the xray -- most likely what's causing the bulk of the pain. Vet felt that pain meds just aren't going to cut it. She said she couldn't make any guarantee that another stone wouldn't show up again in a couple of months if we opted for surgery, but...husband and I both feel that the crying and hunching just can't go on.

Dr. M. said Bassy's age was slightly against him, but that he has been maintaining his weight, has no trouble eating (we were shocked to discover tonight that the lost lower incisor is growing back! 3 months after it was lost!), and seems to be otherwise strong and relatively healthy for all of his issues. She felt that his chances were good.

I'm dropping Bassy off on the way to work. Surgery will be at 10:00 a.m.

I do have a question -- in reading the information about surgeries, there seems to be a wide range with regard to fasting. Can anyone tell me that their vet has recommended on that? Ours said he could have a light meal in the a.m. (they usually get fed around 6:30 a.m.).

Ugh. It's going to be a rough day tomorrow. Positive thoughts and crossed-fingers appreciated.

370 posts