Sebastian Thread

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Can't advise on that one, but thinking good thoughts for you.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:22 pm

I wish you the very best.

You'll find a range of fasting/not fasting experiences. My personal choice would be to include hay and water at all times. I think Pinta had a pig that required fasting. If a pig is fasted for a long period of time, you have to deal with the lack of food moving through the gut and the guinea pig may need iv fluids (or something to make up for the loss of nutrients).

Zoe

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:26 pm

I'll be thinking of you guys. I hope it goes well.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:40 pm

We are sending love and hugs Bassy's way. I hope he has a calm, peaceful night filled with hay, and an uneventful surgery tomorrow.

I hope you and your husband are able to get some rest too.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:55 am

Surgeries are always such nerve wrecking experiences, I wish you and all of your loved ones a well-rested night and an uneventful surgery tomorrow.

**sending loads of ninja vibes**

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:03 am

I will be thinking of you both tomorrow. I hope everything goes well.

sef1268

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:07 am

Thanks, guys. All of the well-wishes are hugely appreciated. This is the first guinea pig surgery that my husband and I have gone through. He actually feels pretty good about it, but my stomach is already in knots this a.m.

Will keep you posted.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:23 am

I was never told to fast Henry. However, we all know that Henry eats like one pellet a day, so I'm not a good case to look at. Wishing you and Bassy the best. He's been through a lot, and seems like a fighter.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:17 am

I hope all goes well today.

sef1268

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:16 pm

I just got off the phone with the vet (yes, I was getting all OCD-y and worried, and had to call). Dr. M had just finished up and said he did fine. She got the stone out and a huge mass of crystals/sludge from the bladder, and he's coming out of the anesthesia right now.

Whew.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:24 pm

So glad to read this. I hope he'll be home and feeling better soon.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:04 pm

Nice! Kisses for Bassy. He'll probably be a grump-a-saurus for awhile, but it's great to hear he's coming home tonight.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:06 pm

My usual obnoxious, repetitive post: without looking back, you have pain meds for postsurgical analgesia, right?

NancyO

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:20 pm

Go Bassy Go. Sandy, I was happy to see he did just fine during the surgery. You'll see an immediate change in him now that he is rid of that dreadful stone. Poor guy.

Take care,
Nancy

sef1268

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:30 pm

Thanks. Leaving shortly to go home first and prepare his section of the cage, because I totally forgot to put clean towels and stuff in there for him this morning.

Talishan -- I have metacam, and I have Bactrim and Baytril both on hand.

NancyO

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:44 pm

Sandy, Oreo took Metacam and Baytril after his surgery. Hope Bassy is feeling better.

Nancy

pinta

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:16 pm

I fast all my pigs before surgery. 4 -6 hours for surgery that has them on their backs and 2 hours for surgery where they can be upright.

I lost a pig on the table that died when food got into the throat and won't risk it again. There ia a pocket in the throat too deep down for swabbing that can collect food. Under sedation, the food can back into the throat.

sef1268

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Pinta, are we talking solids like veggies or pellets that can get stuck? Hay? What about Critical Care? I fed him veggies this morning and opted for Critical Care instead of pellets. That was at 7:30 a.m., and his surgery began around 11:00 a.m.

Dumb question but I'm tired and have a headache, so maybe tracis can help me look. Are there any pictures of sutures/stitches on here that I can compare Sebastian's to? Stone surgery, I mean. I don't know why, but his seem a little...loose to me. Are they supposed to be very tight? I should say, the stitches themselves look fine, but the little bit of thread that she has tied into a knot at the end of each stitch looks a little loose (if that makes sense). There are three separate stitches.

Bassy ate Critical Care a few minutes ago, and has been munching a bit of hay.

Dr. M. wants me to give Bactrim for 10 days, Metacam for a couple of days or so, and do subques tomorrow and Saturday.

She gave me the stone as well as some of the solidified sludge that had filled his bladder. I will post pics of them tomorrow.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:33 pm

I'm so glad Bassy's surgery is over, and that he's eating. I hope the rest of his recovery goes well.

I will be happy to hunt around for suture photos. Don't forget to get some rest, Sef.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:39 pm

I know this isn't what you asked for, but there are pics of Henry's spay incision. It's great to hear Bassy's munching. Sounds like getting this thing out will help his pain greatly.

370 posts