Sebastian Thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:46 am

Poor Sebastian. I hope the lump heals properly, and soon!

somechick

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:24 pm

It's always something. Good thoughts for Bassy. He doesn't need this!

sef1268

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:33 pm

I haven't been able to reach my vet all week (her colleague is on vacation, so I know she's swamped). Lump looks the same.

I have another question. How can I tell the difference between an abscess and a sebaceous cyst? I remembered that our senior boar Winston had the same type of thing, except his was on his back. It was about the size of a marble, skin-colored, didn't seem to bother him so our former vet said just to leave it alone. Then one day it disappeared (assume it ruptured on its own) and didn't come back.

I could be totally wrong, but I just don't think this thing looks like an abscess. Is there a way to tell for sure? Because of its location and Bassy's dark hair and skin, taking a picture probably won't work.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:57 pm

I think cebum is oily. Crush some on a paper towel. Smell should tell you also (infection will smell).

sef1268

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:11 pm

Can't tell, since the lump isn't draining. Would it be a bad idea for me to try to do so myself?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:24 pm

I guess I'm one of those people who would try to keep it open. Use your own judgement.

sef1268

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:49 pm

I seriously give up. On either Friday night or Saturday morning, I noticed blood in Zachary's urine. A lot of it. It has been months since he has bled, and now this. Nothing new in the diet except corn husks, which I didn't feed yesterday or today. He is still bleeding.

Then just a few minutes ago, I was giving Sebastian his last dose of Baytril that the vet suggested he stay on for 7 days after she drained his lump (still there), and found that he was peeing blood too. He has never peed blood in the nearly 4 years that we've had him.

The only other thing I can think of, is that I was forced to use Yesterday's News the other night for new bedding in their hayboxes, after running out of CareFresh. It is lightly scented. Could it cause bladder irritation?

Does this crap EVER end with these guys?? I'm just so sick and tired of the constant worry, the recurring problems, and the mounting vet bills that I'm just about ready to throw up my hands in defeat.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Oh dear, I'm sorry you're having so many problems with your boys.

I wouldn't think that bedding would make any difference.

sef1268

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:47 pm

Thanks, Mum. I wouldn't have thought so, either. I'm just at a loss to understand why I suddenly have not one but TWO boars with a significant amount of blood in their urine.

Gave Zachary a dose of Metacam; I can't give it to Sebastian, since he's still on Prednisone.

I'm also not happy to learn that Sebastian has dropped 2 ounces in the past two weeks, after having maintained his (lower) weight for a couple of months now.

Seriously, it's reaching the point where we're at the vet nearly every damn week.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm so sorry, Sef. I totally sympathize with your frustration and worry. I think of stones or UTIs, analysing a bacteria for the later to get the right antibiotic. Or just using bactrim (there aren't that many antibiotics that would be prescribed). I don't remember if you've had either of them xrayed.

sef1268

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:53 pm

Zachary has been x-rayed multiple times, along with several ultrasounds. Nothing has ever shown up. We seemed to be managing things well with diet, so I don't understand what has happened.

Sebastian has had dental xrays 3 times so far for issues with his teeth after his auto-immune/stroke issue, but not the bladder specifically. Our vet asked to do a full-frontal xray to double-check for the possibility of cancer, since one of her colleagues thought he saw something suspicious. The xray included chest, lungs, heart and I'm pretty sure the bladder was visible. Nothing remarkable showed up (we were looking for lesions, but I remember thinking that everything looked clear). I'm going to call the vet again and ask specifically about the bladder, though. Certainly I think a urinalysis is in order. My first thought was UTI, but he has been on Baytril for 7 days...wouldn't that have knocked it out?

Argh.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:29 pm

but he has been on Baytril for 7 days...wouldn't that have knocked it out?
Not if the bug isn't responsive to baytril. Bactrim is most commonly prescribed for UTIs, although sometimes another a/b is indicated on the sensitivity.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:21 am

I'm sorry that the boys are are still having problems. It is so difficult when you are doing everything you can for an ill family member, and you still don't have any answers.

Last November, my Ginny developed a UTI while taking Baytril for a URI. My vet put her on Bactrim, and that took care of it.

I've always felt that it had something to do with her weakened immune system.

I'm sending you some good thoughts.

sef1268

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:52 am

Thanks. Poor Bassy has really been through it these past few months -- autoimmune/stroke; eyesight loss; permanent loss of a tooth; lump found last week; and now this.

I need to find an old thread I started about Prednisone. Does anyone know if the bleeding could be Pred-related? I remember one of our members said she gave Tagamet for bleeding when her Prednisone-pig bled. That's for gut, though, right? Not bladder?

Calling my vet this morning to see what she thinks about the Bactrim.

Thanks for the well-wishes. :)

sef1268

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:05 am

I found this comment on a health website:

Corticosteroids may lower your resistance to infections.

Wondering if that's what's going on here.

Something else I'm noticing with Sebastian's urine. It has an usual, almost fishy odor. Does anyone know what would cause that?

Hoping my vet is in today. She's usually only in on Wed-Fri.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:33 am

It has an usual, almost fishy odor.
Infection. It can make the whole cage stink, even after cleaning.

sef1268

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:59 pm

That's what I suspected. Thanks, Mum.

Dr. M was in this morning, and told me to start him on Bactrim and monitor for 3 days. She said that the frontal xray that we did last week did not include the bladder, so if I want to look for stones, that will mean yet another rad. Not sure I want to do that if this clears up on Bactim. He just had xrays last Monday to look at something that another vet was afraid could be a cancerous growth; two weeks prior to that, he had more xrays for his teeth after he lost that bottom incisor, and they had to be redone after the images didn't turn out; a month prior to that, he had xrays to rule out abscess or root elongation when he stopped eating. How much radiation exposure is safe for these little guys?

On a more positive note, I checked the white towel under his hidey a few minutes ago, and I found quite a bit of urine but no blood. Fingers crossed this is "just" a UTI.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:03 am

I hope it is just a UTI too. Poor guy.

Did you find your Prednisone thread?

pinta

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:07 am

I would get the urine confirmed for presence of blood. It doesn't make sense that both pigs would suddenly have blood in their urine. Maybe the blood isn't blood.

Hydrogen Pyroxide is very old school for flushing abscsesses. It isnt'recommended these days since it necrotizes the tissue.

sef1268

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:52 pm

This evening I gave Sebastian his p.m. dose of Bactrim and began handfeeding him to try to get his weight up a little. He ate it enthusiastically, but midway though the feeding he peed an enormous puddle of urine (it was tinted pink). When I picked him up to wipe him off, he urinated again on my lap and yet again when I sat him down on the bed. No more fishy odor, but just the volume...it doesn't seem normal.

In reading the symptoms for both UTI and kidney stones, I don't see anything that mentions this. Does this sound like the start of renal failure? We had a senior boar who was in the early stages of renal failure when we adopted him, but I can't remember if he urinated very frequently or heavily.

Hoping we can get him in to see the vet first thing tomorrow. I just don't like the looks of this.

370 posts