question about mites and ivermectin

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:13 pm

Yes, 0.07 is high. You are much closer to a standard dose.

Herbie

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:14 am

Evangeline - you are right - that´s exactly what I do. I fill the syring with .07cc of Ivermectin, and then fill the rest of the syring with syrup. A little shake - and ready for Herbie.

Herbie has gotten 1cc of Ivermectin a few times - per Dr Quesenberry (sp).

As far as being over-charged - I figured I was - but since I wasn´t sure what kind to buy and didn´t want to get into mixing carrier oils, etc. it was easier to just have the vet order what they used. Now that I have the box, I´m sure if I ever need it again I can order it on-line. But this bottle will last a long long time........

Herbie

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:17 am

Cattle injectable ivermectin (which can be diluted and used orally) contains 10 mg/ml, meaning a 0.2 mg amount would be found in 2 hundredths of a ml. This amount would be difficult to accurately measure with commonly available syringes, but thoroughly mixing 9 ml propylene glycol with 1 ml of this form of ivermectin, results in a concentration of 1 mg/ml, a better solution for dosing. For example, a guinea pig weighing a kilo and requiring a 0.2mg dose of ivermectin, could be treated with 0.2 ml of the described solution (1 part injectable to 9 parts other).

This is the stuff - and this is what confuses me - am I supposed to mix this down?

Herbie

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:23 am

I´m more confused than ever

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:48 am

Perhaps your best bet is to contact your vet and ask what dose he is prescribing for guinea pigs.

The dose will be so many miligrams per so many kilograms of pig.

0.2mg/kg ivermectin is the standard dose. Ask him what he is prescribing.

Herbie

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:53 am

Lynx - I asked that when I picked it up - and was told use it straight out of the bottle. But if I read the info on here - it says it needs to be mixed with a carrier oil.

So rather than take a chance on hurting my Herbie I was hoping that either you or someone could clarify the info on the site.

The vet that WAS treating Herbie moved the the Animal Hospital from hell - and calling there will get me nowhere. The vet who is now taking her place couldn´t read her notes for anything.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:15 pm

No. He told you how many cc´s. That is not the dose rate in mg/kg. If you can find out the dose rate in mg/kg, you can determine how many mg your pig needs for his weight.

Mixing with a carrier oil makes it easier and more precise to measure when you are dosing at 0.2mg/kg.

Maybe you need to get a good reference book.
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 6:14 pm

Herbie,

Just out of curiosity, are you in New York? I have an appointment with Dr. Quesenberry for Monday that I´m planning to cancel, because I just bought a tube of Zimecterin at a local feed store for $15.95. I actually bring my pigs to see Dr. Hess usually, but she is unavailable this Monday.

My main reason for trying to avoid the vet altogether this time around is because I don´t have to give them $85 or more for them to tell me that "she probably has mites, I will do lab tests for X amount of dollars more to find out for sure, and you should give her this $103 bottle of ivermectin in the meantime just in case."

As per Pinta´s advice regarding the discussion we had last week, I´m seriously considering finding a cheaper vet, despite the fact that I have a huge amount of trust for the knowledge and expertise of the (extremely expensive) vets I´ve been using.

Scott

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 6:41 pm

Dr. Quesenberry has a pretty good reputation (put out a book with Hillyer on small animal surgery). This vet would still probably be a great person to go to for something that was more complicated to diagnose.

Good luck. Be sure you calculate the dose carefully.
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Mar 16, 2002 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 6:53 pm

LOL - you replied to this one before I even finished my next post. Sorry about the double post - it didn´t work right the first time. Scott

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:23 pm

For some reason some of the new posts are very strange -- do you have any idea why it might have done that [fyi, the post has been deleted -- when you click on it there was no text]? I take it you had a title and text entered but it just didn´t work. Did you try previewing it or do anything unusual?

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:31 pm

No..... I didn´t preview.......

After I clicked submit, I got some error message saying that it didn´t work right. I don´t specifically remember anything it said, but it was all black text on a white screen with no background colors.

The only reason why I was able to re-submit my post so quickly is because I make a habit of copying the entire text of my post before I submit it. In case something like this happens, I don´t have to type it all over again. And at CG and CavyMadness, I always get signed out automatically after a short time, so when I write long posts, I get that stupid "you are not signed in as a registered user" message.

Regarding Dr. Quesenberry and Dr. Hess, I don´t want anyone to get a bad impression from my previous post. I would recommend them HIGHLY for anyone in the New York area. Dr. Hess has been wonderful both in person and on the phone treating my pigs. And from everything I hear, it seems Dr. Quesenberry has even more experience in the field. Just be prepared to open your wallet.