Guinea had incisors trimmed, now he is not eating at all!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:19 pm

Pinta - that's helpful info to know. Thanks.

Cherry Vanilla

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:14 am

He doesnt show any sighn of pain. When I put him a piece of hard food in the mouth, he chews it without any problem.

I think my vet was right after all. I have been hand feeding him for 3 days now, and today he tried to eat lettuce on his own. He even managed to bite off a piece.

I consider that a great improvement.
Until today he couldnt even touch food with lower teeth. The traces on the food (carrot, for example) were only left by upper teeth.
Today he managed to bite off a piece of lettuce.

I asked my vet about an X-ray , and she said its not necessary since he managed to eat a piece of lettuce.
She also said he will need some time, becouse he is now affraid to eat by himself. She thinks he may have some injuries in the mouth, becouse his lower incisors were pretty long.
Sometimes it takes even 2 weeks before cavia starts eating again after teeth correction.

She checked his mouth for any sign of infection of gums, and she said everything is Ok.

I know she cant see a 100 % without an X-ray.
My vet said she will do an X-ray if there is no improval soon.
But, she thinks he will be Ok.
I really hope so, becouse there is no other vet in Zagreb (capital of Croatia) specialized for guinea pigs. Not that Ive heard of.
She is known as the best, and many people recommended me her.
She saved many guinea pigs from almost certain death.

I have no other choise, but tu trust her.

Thank you for your help.
Hints about hand feeding were very useful.

I will inform you about his further condition.

Cherry Vanilla

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:38 am

I read on this forum that guinea pig has to eat at least 100 cc of food to maintain weight. We have a different measures, so please, can someone explain me how much is 100 cc? In liters, dcl, ml?
If this is a 1 dcl (approximately half a cup), then everything is OK.
He eats much more than 1 dcl in one day. A double of that, at least.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:27 am

ml=cc

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:06 am

As long as you're maintaining weight on what you give him, then you're giving him enough!

Incidentally, pigs with very bad teeth can usually manage to eat lettuce. It's the hard things that give them problems usually.

Cherry Vanilla

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:50 am

Until today, he didnt even try to bite anything. It seemed like he wants to, but he always gave up. Like he was affraid. Yesterday he managed to bite of a piece of carrot. And he ate that piece.
But still he cant eat on his own.

Sometimes I find him standing near his food (hard food), and I can hear him chewing, but Im not sure that he really ate something, or he is just chewing on empty mouth.
If he really did ate something, it was probably some small piece, so I cant see the difference in amount of food.

Also it seems he is chewing hay, but again I cant be sure, becouse he puts his head in hay, and I can hear him chewing something.

When Im hand feeding him, I dont need to force him. He wants to eat, and he stops when he had enough.
Should I force him to eat as many as posible?
Im feeding him with pellets and water, and with "lettuce cigarettes". I dont put much water in pellets, just as much to make them soft. Im giving him water with syringe, and he gets a little glukosis every day.

He eats approximately 40 - 50 ml of pellets, and half a liefe of lettuce in a day. Do you think this may be enough? He eats that without any forcing.

He pies, and poops. Not as much as usually, but I dont think I can expect everything to be normal in this condition.

Mario

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi Cherry Vanilla, I have the same issue with my guinea pig and need help. What's the name of the vet station which helped you? I know this is old thread but need advice.

Thanks!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:18 pm

It's been 12 years since Cherry Vanilla posted. I don't think s/he will see this.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:59 pm

You could try sending an email to Cherry Vanilla but their email address may have changed in the past 10 years.

Mario

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 am

I am aware of that but it's worth to try 😉

Going to a vet atm so we will see what does she say..

Btw great forum!!