Subcues for Dummies

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:32 am

An alternative is to fill a glass or other container with water to a temperature 5 degrees over your temperature goal. Leave it there for 10 minutes. Check the temp. You may have to play around until you get the right temp. Submersion this way should help to equalize the temp throughout.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:39 am

I do as Lynx suggests. I fill up a measuring cup with very hot water and drop the syringe in that with the infusion set hanging over the edge.

I wait until it's 'baby bottle warm.'

I give 20ccs, and no more than 30, when I give subcues.

Yes, I've had a pig shake the needle out. I hold the needle in with one hand and keep the pig in a cuddle cup so movement is restricted.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:44 am

Wow...I feel like I probably overwhelmed poor Oreo; she was getting 40-60 ccs, although they really made a difference in how she felt.

I used to warm up the filled syringe (no needle) in the microwave for about 15 seconds, then shake to make sure the warm water was equally disbursed. Sometimes, I'd let it sit for another few minutes, if it needed to cool off. I assume this worked ok, because after the first time, she never fussed too much again (except when the needle was first inserted). There were a few occasions when she'd start to move around and the needle feel out. Like Mum, I tried to hold it in place with one hand.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks. I was trying not to hold the needle "in" too much, but I guess I'll have to start doing that.

Mum -- so, if you restrict mobility, what is the advantage of the infusion set for you? (I don't mean that to sound sarcastic in any way; just trying to figure out what way will work best for Zachary...butterfly or just a small gauge needle on a syringe).

Thanks again.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 pm

The advantage is that there's flexibility in the infusion set. I don't keep the pig totally still, just somewhat. If the pig moved (and the pig always moves!) with a needle on the end of a syringe, I'd be worried about where the needle ended up.

I just put a finger over the needle to make sure it doesn't fall out - and to keep it the right way up.

So, I have one hand on the pig's back, with a finger over the needle, and the other hand presses down on the syringe. The pig can certainly move around and therefore doesn't feel totally restricted.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:59 pm

Got it! That makes sense now. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:16 pm

You can definitely overheat it if you microwave warm it. So use care whichever method you settle on.

Good luck!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:42 am

If you have a subcue where the needle comes out, or you have to take it out for some reason in mid-fluids, you always start over with a new butterfly needle, right?

I ruined two sets this morning (one wasn't in properly; the second time I managed to jab my finger with it), and had to give up because I'm running too low on them. Argh.

Does anyone know if they make a 28-gauge butterfly set? I know it would take longer to administer, but after getting jabbed with the 25-gauge this morning, I know they can still hurt.

ShadowBlasko
Supporter in '05

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Don't feel bad if it is hard for you.

Mistress™ does SubQ a lot when dealing with wildlife, and every situation is unique. Just last night she broke a 22 gauge trying to give Bianca her SubQ, and Bianca also bled more than any piggie we have had to give injections to before.

I swear that piggie has Squirrel Skin. It was next to impossible to get that needle in there.

Squirrels, btw, have amazingly tough skin, and will turn a 20 gauge needle just about every time you try it.

And don't feel bad about injecting yourself. It happens here on a regular basis.

(You think piggies are tough, try a 20 pound ~very~ angry raccoon, who has opposable thumbs and a serious attitude!)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:56 pm

No, I've had many a poor stick with the same needle. I always use just one needle for the subcue, no matter how often I have to stick the pig (or myself).

A 25-gauge needle really is adequate - it's a very small needle (and yes, I know it hurts when you stick yourself!)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks. I've been using 23g and they're working pretty well.

Does anyone know why some sets have a "safety clip" on them? Is that to cover the needle for disposal? It's a white clip that slides up and down the tubing, and looks like it can be clipped right over the top of the butterfly needle (but not sure why).

Another dumb question -- is there is a certain time that subcues are better administered than others? For instance, is there any reason why it can't be given in late evening? (right before bedtime). I could have sworn my vet said not to give fluids too late in the evening, but can't remember what the reason was. Does that sound right? (maybe I misunderstood?)

I would have thought this would get easier, but...no.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:32 am

I'm not familiar with an optimal time to give subcues. If doing them twice daily, I pretty much would do them at 7am and again at 7pm - ish!

Can't help you on the clip issue - my butterfly sets don't have them.