Subcues for Dummies

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:54 pm

I know this is a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Do all brands of Lactated Ringers have the exact same ingredients? Probably grasping at straws here, but it seems to me that Zachary didn't start having bowel problems until I started this new bag of Ringers. The vet was out of Baxter brand (the brand I just finished using), so we went with Hospira instead. I've used Hospira without any problem before, but with Zach's system being so delicate right now, it seems like any small thing can cause issues.

Here are the ingredients on the Hospira:
Sodium chloride 600mg; sodium lactate ANHYD, 310mg; potassium chloride 30mg; calcium chloride dihydrate 20mg in water for injection. May contain HCI or NaOH for pH adjustment.

Sodiium 130 mEq; potassium 4 mEq; calcium 3 mEq; chloride 109 mEq; lactate 28 mEq.

273 m0smol/liter (calc); pH 6.6 (6.0 to 7.5).

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:06 am

I can't answer that question, but would wonder if there's any chance of contamination?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:12 am

Have you thought of just using plain dextrose sodium instead of LR?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:14 am

I was thinking that, too. The bag was in a sealed package when I got it last week. I'm always so careful with them, but I know it could still happen. I have been using a new draw needle every time (before, I was using the same draw needle twice -- once for the a.m. subcue, then put immediately back in its sheath; then again for the p.m. subcue and then discard); always a new butterfly; using the same syringe for two subcues and then discarding. If there were contamination, I'm wondering if it could cause diarrhea-?

I have a small, spare bag of Ringers that I was keeping for emergencies. Same brand, but I think I'll switch to that bag tomorrow just to be on the safe side. Does that sound like a good idea?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:16 am

HollyT -- I hadn't thought of it. Vet hasn't mentioned it. Would there be an advantage over LR?