Subcues for Dummies

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:54 pm

To get back to your timing issue, I frequently gave Oreo her subq right before I went to bedtime. It seemed like a good idea since everybody was a little more low-keyed. I was always concerned she'd pick up my anxiety about giving it to her.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:47 am

Please use a sharps container (can be an old can with a lid) when disposing of used needles. Do not place directly in the trash.
Correct. My husband has Diabetes, so unfortunately we're well-versed on proper syringe disposal.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:45 pm

Well, Mum was right. The 27 gauge infusion sets are just too darn small. They go in without too much trouble, but it takes forever to empty the syringe and makes it hard to plunge. As far as it being more comfortable/less painful, I really didn't see any difference from when I use a 25g or even the 23g.

BUT...I now have an entire box that Excel sent me gratis of 27 gauge sets. A shame not to put them to some use. Does anyone want a few samples? If so, just drop me an email (apparently by law I have to say "NOT FOR HUMAN USE").

Also, I'd still like some feedback on where to find inexpensive butterfly 23 gauge sets (either by the box or each). Thinking maybe the $.80 each from KV Vet is going to be my best bet. ?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:47 pm

I'm pretty sure I bought my butterfly sets from Golden Hour medical (Google to find it - it was so long ago!)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:02 pm

No, I've had many a poor stick with the same needle. I always use just one needle for the subcue, no matter how often I have to stick the pig (or myself).
I just wanted to double-check on this point, because over the weekend I found a couple of ferret websites with directions on subcues (while searching for infusion sets). In reading the directions, they both made a point of saying that you absolutely cannot use the needle if it has touched anything.

Just so I'm clear...it's OK to go ahead and use the butterfly needle if I happen to jab myself with it, right? I guess ideally it would be better to get a new one, but is it terrible if I don't?

I have to say (knocking wood) that these are getting a liiiiittle bit easier.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:04 pm

it's OK to go ahead and use the butterfly needle if I happen to jab myself with it, right?
All I can say is that this is what I do :-p

Probably not ideal, but I've not had a problem doing this (not that that makes it correct of course).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:27 am

Grrrrrr. Who designed this stupid Ringers bag???

I went to give Zachary his subcue last night, and discovered that the bag had a leak. It took me a while to figure out where the leak was coming from, but turned out that there was a tiny needle prick where I guess I had accidentally jabbed the bag when drawing up the fluid.

As you can see from this picture, on this type of bag the "port" is on the SIDE rather than on the bottom. If you happen to have a 1" needle as I do, and are a complete and utter moron as I am, it's apparently possible to poke a hole clear through to the other side of the bag!

My other bags have always had the "port" on the bottom, like so:

Fortunately for me, a fellow GL just sent me her new, un-used bag of Ringers, or I'd be paying for another bag today (I thought the vet's office could at least give me another bag of Ringers to replace it, after what I spent yesterday--but no).

I'm just very irked.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:37 am

My bag looks like the top bag with the port on the front.

You can still use the other bag - just tape over the hole!

I only pay about $7/bag, even at my vet's office (and they mark up stuff like this enormously usually).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:51 am

Really? Doesn't that make it not sterile any more? The bag says to discard if there's a leak, so I just assumed I needed to pitch it. ?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:12 am

Oh, good point. You're probably right.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:15 am

I would pitch it. I had the side port bags. I guess I was lucky because the vet tech who showed me how to do the subq warned me about the possibility of going all the way thru with the needle. Don't know whether you have the option, but I had Allison hold the bag upright so I could have a better view of whether the needle was going.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:29 am

Those things remind me of those stupid CapriSun pouches. I always poked through those too. Some bioengineer needs a swift kick in the rear for that bag design.