Advice needed for my girls

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:39 am

The swelling is worrisome. Is the foot tender to the touch? Did you rewrap it?

I hope there is no infection still present.

Thanks for the update.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:48 am

The vet seemed to think the swelling was just normal swelling after an amputation. The foot is not tender, nor hot. We have been on bactrim since all of this started how ever many weeks ago, and continued this right up until yesterday so I dont think there is any infection currently present.

We are continuing on with metacam and so this should bring the swelling down although if it doesnt then we will go back for another x-ray.

We are to bandage it and keep it bandaged for a week (changing only if she rips it off or if it gets dirty).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:59 am

Hmmmm. From my understanding, it's not a good idea to keep things bandaged up all the time. Moisture collects inside and airing the foot can be a good idea. There is gauze over it, right? That would help pull the moisture away.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:08 am

To answer your question - there was guaze over it. Her foot looks pretty darn good at the moment, and the hair has grown back.

But my problem pigs now have what appears to be a fungal infection. On quick inspection both Lily and Buttercup have a mild fungal infection around their eye, though Rosie and Toffee appear to be fine. I am going to bathe all 4 girls in maleseb tomorrow. The maleseb wont be going anywhere near their eyes though - so I am assuming I will need something else as well? I am thinking probably a topical cream, that I can just apply to the affected areas? According to the fungal article, Micomazole and Clotrimazole are the way to go - are these expensive and can they be picked up from the chemist?

Also, have been sick so have been pretty poor with their weekly weighings. Noticed that over a period of 5 weeks (did weigh them once in between this period but have lost the sheet that I wrote it on - as far as I can remember it was steady on 1000g down from 1008g, and it is now 962g) Rosie lost 46 grams - granted 20 or so grams could just be normal flactuation, is this anything I need to worry about?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:11 pm

For the weight, I would just keep a little closer track for the moment (and observe for any signs of illness). Good luck clearing up the fungal infection and thanks for the update.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:41 am

I have no idea how they got it, but as well as the fungal, they ALL have what I think is an URI. Basically, all 4 girls are really snuffly (crackly breathing) and Buttercups clear discharge is back. This is driving me round the bend!

So, I had some bactrim left which I gave to Buttercup as she was the worse, and have an appointment for 7:45am in the morning.

I am just editing some pictures of Buttercups foot all healed up and the thin hair on Toffees neck (see how do you melt a pig? thread).

pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:58 am

Buttercups foot:

The thinning of hair on Toffees neck (I have treated for mites, and fungal several times since october 07 with no change, thus either the melts or lavender shampoo has been recommended to me):

Oh and, I used revolution on them yesterday, and they all had a maleseb bath today.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Just got home from the vets. Lily and Toffee are alot worse than Buttercup and Rosie - you can hear them without using the stethoscope. All 4 girls are on bactrim for 7 days, but if after 24 hours Lily and Toffee havent changed they will need to go on metacam.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:22 am

A couple of questions -

1. Do you think supplementing with a bit of CC will be beneficial?

2. A probiotic - I have always used acidophilious pills - should I start them on one?

3. The vet mentioned vitamin c, I can get some tablets if needed but do you think they will be of any help?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:28 am

I hope your girls are feeling better soon. Buttercup's foot healed very nicely.

I like to give a little Vitamin C when my girls are ill.

I also give probiotics when they are taking antibiotics. I use the acidophilus capsules sprinkled on wet lettuce.

If they are not eating as well as you think they should, supplementing with Critical Care would help.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:39 am

The girls appear to be responding well to the bactrim, but still sound very snuffly. Vitamin C supplements are been given and I havent had to use Critical Care much at all.

Someone suggested to me that the towels/cloth items (such as cuddle cups/saks) are a breeding ground for fungal, is this true?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 am

I'm sorry that your girls are still sounding snuffly. Sometimes URIs can be so stubborn.

You could remove the towels and other cloth accessories, and see if it makes a difference for the girls.

I wash my cage items often, in hot water, and haven't noticed anything like that.