Advice needed for my girls

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 pm


Oh yes, I dont want more than one surgery. What I was thinking was asking her to put her to sleep, take another x-ray and decide from there what to do. Being asleep, this x-ray will be much clearer. The only thing that is making me hesitate is the money. It costs me $60 for a x-ray.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:44 pm


Talk to your vet and decide what the best choice is.

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:16 am


Have noticed that one of the girls (not sure which as they are all together) has weird poops. They are formed and solid, but look like 2 joined together at the ends. Is this anything to worry about or am I just being a worry wort?

Most of the poops in their cage are normal. I can count the odd ones tomorrow morning so you know how many there are if that helps?

Just to add - they are all eating with gusto and have all maintained/gained weight.

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:31 am


Quote from Bricks Thread, post by Lynx "By the way, I realize I am getting you mixed up with another poster whose pig will have 2 or 3 toes removed maybe next week. "

I would assume that the other poster is me, and just wanted to clarify that by 2 or 3 digits the dr meant either 2 or 3 sections of that one middle toe. She explained that this is what they call the little sections - digits. There are 3 sections/pieces of bone in a pigs toe.

I am going to ask her to put her to sleep and take another x-ray. Sorry for the confusion.

Her foot looks nothing like Bricks, it is crusty though, on the base of her middle toe and around the sides. The swelling has not come down.

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:32 pm


Buttercups operation is in 4 hours and I am so darn nervous.

User avatar
Topaz

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:33 pm


Sending good thoughts your way.

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:10 pm


Thanks Topaz. Just over 2 hours to go.

I just rang the vet and asked her a couple of questions. They still have the x-ray they took last week but cant release it to me for legal reasons. So I am not sure whether I will even be able to take a picture of it.

I will be there at 11am - so in 1 hour and 50 minutes. I think I might go grab a coffee while I wait. It should be only 30 minutes, though I have to check whether or not they will need to keep her afterwards.

User avatar
Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:33 pm


They still have the x-ray they took last week but cant release it to me for legal reasons.
Hold on. Was this xray taken for your pig and paid for by you?

If so, this is rubbish. I always take home xrays I get taken and photograph them. I have to sign a piece of paper.

Generally, I return them afterwards.

Incidentally, I am also able to do the same thing with my child's xrays:-p

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:59 pm


I hope the surgery goes well!!

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:47 pm


Buttercup is home but not too good.

I watched her as she went to sleep. It was awful. They put her in a plastic container, and started running the gas. It made her eyes weep, her urinate, she coughed etc.

Anyway. They took another x-ray when she was nearly asleep (so they she wasnt asleep enough to operate, but enough to take a x-ray). The x-ray showed that the infection remained in those top 2 joints, with the rest of her foot and toe clear. So they amputated from the knuckle down basically.

I picked up a hour later. She was all puffed up and in obvious pain. She was given stuff at the vets, and I have given her a further 2mls of Metacam when we got home. I am to give her Rimadyl at 6pm tonight (now 1:35pm) and again at 8am in the morning, in conjunction with 2mls of Metacam. After 8am we will just continue on with the metacam. She is also still on 6mls of bactrim. On Sunday we go back for a check up.

Her foot is bandaged up, and they used 1 dissolvable stitch. So far I have only been able to get 10mls of CC down her. I am going to leave her until tonight, and then try and get more down.

She will remain in the carrier for at least 24 hours. After that I will make a decision on whether she should go back with the girls or not. After the 24 hour period I think I will divide the C&C cage, so she has a 1x2.5 but is back in with the girls.

Is there anything else I can do for her pain? The carrier is lined with towels, 6 towels thick. She has food and a water bottle, and her cuddle cup.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:04 am


Sending good thoughts for Buttercup, and I hope she has a smooth recovery.

I am sorry that she is still having pain. Will your vet give you anything stronger for her, until she is comfortable?

This may also be helpful:
Max Metacam dose for short-term use? discussion

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:09 am


Rimadyl is the strongest she would give. I will have a look at that link now. Thankyou.

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 am


I should say that she is on 0.2mls as a pose to 2mls. She has been getting this 3 times a day. It seems that most on that discussion recommend 0.2mls twice a day. Does this mean that she is being overdosed?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:29 am


I really do not know.

There seems to be different opinions on how much Metacam a cavy can tolerate, however, some people also seem to feel that it is safe to increase the dose for a short period of time, when necessary.

If this were my situation, I'd definitely ask the vet about the 3 doses vs. 2, and also check in if Buttercup does not improve soon. I'd worry that she will not eat if she is in pain.

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 am


I have managed to get some more Critical Care into her. She has also had some more medicine. She is still fluffed up but looking slightly better in herself.

I will keep you all updated.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:17 am


If you haven't read gl/postop.html , it may help.

I'm sorry you are so worried and she seems in pain. I hope the medication helps.

User avatar
NiniAriane

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:04 am


Sending good thoughts for quick recovery.

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:26 pm


Thanks Lynx, I did read that article.

Buttercup is improving. Her appetite is not back to what it was before but I think this is expected. She has been munching on some hay and veggies. I dont think I need to continue CC but I would appreciate your thoughts.

I managed to get a total of 30mls of CC into her yesterday. She is becoming more active, slowly, so getting medicine into her is becoming harder.

She had her last dose of Rimadyl 25 minutes ago. From now on she is on just metacam and bactrim.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:33 am


I was thinking of Buttercup today, and now am so glad to read that she is improving! I hope she continues to feel better as she heals.

User avatar
pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:20 am


Buttercup went back in with the girls a couple of days ago. She is back to her normal self.

I got her out today to take her to the vet and she gave me the fright of my life as she had pulled off her bandage (must have been sometime this morning).

Her foot is very swollen, but the stitch has disolved and scabbed over. No infection so the vet decided to take her off the bactrim, but due to the swelling we are to remain on metacam (but two times a day as a pose to three).

When I went to the chemist a couple of weeks ago to try and find the wash that you lot recommended to soak her foot in I couldnt find it, and the pharmacist said that they were no longer selling that strength. Instead they had double the strength 500ml bottle. Way more than I needed. Anyway, today the vet gave us a little bottle of the stuff (for free!).

So we used that to clean the area, then bandaged it back up.

I am to give her a progress report in a week. The swelling should just go down, but if it increases then she will need another x-ray. So fingers crossed that doesnt happen.

Post Reply
101 posts