Most of the poops in their cage are normal. I can count the odd ones tomorrow morning so you know how many there are if that helps?
Just to add - they are all eating with gusto and have all maintained/gained weight.
I would assume that the other poster is me, and just wanted to clarify that by 2 or 3 digits the dr meant either 2 or 3 sections of that one middle toe. She explained that this is what they call the little sections - digits. There are 3 sections/pieces of bone in a pigs toe.
I am going to ask her to put her to sleep and take another x-ray. Sorry for the confusion.
Her foot looks nothing like Bricks, it is crusty though, on the base of her middle toe and around the sides. The swelling has not come down.
I just rang the vet and asked her a couple of questions. They still have the x-ray they took last week but cant release it to me for legal reasons. So I am not sure whether I will even be able to take a picture of it.
I will be there at 11am - so in 1 hour and 50 minutes. I think I might go grab a coffee while I wait. It should be only 30 minutes, though I have to check whether or not they will need to keep her afterwards.
- I GAVE, dammit!
Hold on. Was this xray taken for your pig and paid for by you?They still have the x-ray they took last week but cant release it to me for legal reasons.
If so, this is rubbish. I always take home xrays I get taken and photograph them. I have to sign a piece of paper.
Generally, I return them afterwards.
Incidentally, I am also able to do the same thing with my child's xrays:-p
I watched her as she went to sleep. It was awful. They put her in a plastic container, and started running the gas. It made her eyes weep, her urinate, she coughed etc.
Anyway. They took another x-ray when she was nearly asleep (so they she wasnt asleep enough to operate, but enough to take a x-ray). The x-ray showed that the infection remained in those top 2 joints, with the rest of her foot and toe clear. So they amputated from the knuckle down basically.
I picked up a hour later. She was all puffed up and in obvious pain. She was given stuff at the vets, and I have given her a further 2mls of Metacam when we got home. I am to give her Rimadyl at 6pm tonight (now 1:35pm) and again at 8am in the morning, in conjunction with 2mls of Metacam. After 8am we will just continue on with the metacam. She is also still on 6mls of bactrim. On Sunday we go back for a check up.
Her foot is bandaged up, and they used 1 dissolvable stitch. So far I have only been able to get 10mls of CC down her. I am going to leave her until tonight, and then try and get more down.
She will remain in the carrier for at least 24 hours. After that I will make a decision on whether she should go back with the girls or not. After the 24 hour period I think I will divide the C&C cage, so she has a 1x2.5 but is back in with the girls.
Is there anything else I can do for her pain? The carrier is lined with towels, 6 towels thick. She has food and a water bottle, and her cuddle cup.
- Let Sleeping Pigs Lie
There seems to be different opinions on how much Metacam a cavy can tolerate, however, some people also seem to feel that it is safe to increase the dose for a short period of time, when necessary.
If this were my situation, I'd definitely ask the vet about the 3 doses vs. 2, and also check in if Buttercup does not improve soon. I'd worry that she will not eat if she is in pain.
Buttercup is improving. Her appetite is not back to what it was before but I think this is expected. She has been munching on some hay and veggies. I dont think I need to continue CC but I would appreciate your thoughts.
I managed to get a total of 30mls of CC into her yesterday. She is becoming more active, slowly, so getting medicine into her is becoming harder.
She had her last dose of Rimadyl 25 minutes ago. From now on she is on just metacam and bactrim.
I got her out today to take her to the vet and she gave me the fright of my life as she had pulled off her bandage (must have been sometime this morning).
Her foot is very swollen, but the stitch has disolved and scabbed over. No infection so the vet decided to take her off the bactrim, but due to the swelling we are to remain on metacam (but two times a day as a pose to three).
When I went to the chemist a couple of weeks ago to try and find the wash that you lot recommended to soak her foot in I couldnt find it, and the pharmacist said that they were no longer selling that strength. Instead they had double the strength 500ml bottle. Way more than I needed. Anyway, today the vet gave us a little bottle of the stuff (for free!).
So we used that to clean the area, then bandaged it back up.
I am to give her a progress report in a week. The swelling should just go down, but if it increases then she will need another x-ray. So fingers crossed that doesnt happen.