"Peanutbutter" Possible abuse/starvation

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:18 pm

She is such a pretty girl, and so fortunate to be in a loving and caring home now. I'm sure she will Blossom now. :)

I wish her (and you) the best!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:34 pm

What a cutie girl. It's so good of you two to take her in. I'm sure she'll have a good life now even if she doesn't fully recover.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:45 pm

Ooh I sense a subliminal suggestion in tracis's post. If you ever got her a friend you could name her "Six." (Joke) Woah!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:49 pm

She'll Polly start feeling better any day now, what with a new name and new slaves.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:06 pm

Polly that Anna whole lot more!

klynne

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:02 pm

<groan...too many puns...>

Instant Noodles--first, bless you and the SO unit.

Second, big ditto--do not give that cage back, as it will burn a hole in them until they fill it up with some other impulse buy to neglect and abuse. Make excuses if you don't feel comfy confronting them, but don't give it back.

Third, most important, get Blossum Sue to the vet asap, cause if it's a spinal injury--and it Polly is--an injection of dexamethasone will be her best bet of getting the inflammation down and getting her spinal function to recover.

Ask about what PT exercises, gentle massage, etc might help, too. If she does not freak too much about it, swimming her a tiny bit each day as she regains motion could help. (Dry her completely, and ask vet before doing this, though.)

It is a good plan on the Vit C as well. I just think if it was "only" scurvy, you'd see things more bilaterally. I am betting that kid dropped her or let her jump off a high place.

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:31 pm

Hi.

In addition, there are also Oxbow Vitamin C supplement tablets. You can get them directly from Oxbow or at certain vets/pet supply stores.

My 5 year old piggy Evelyn's former owners gave her the chewable human vitamins (500 mg) cut in half - so she was getting about 10 times what she is currently taking. The human vitamins also may have artificial sweetener in them; the ones Evey was taking did. I kept her on the same vitamins but gradually cut the dose to 1/8th of one of the tablets.

Shortly after I adopted her, Evey did have a problem with a bladder stone but it is impossible to say if it had anything to do with the excess vitamin C. She also was not battling scurvy and a somewhat higher dose is warranted for a pig that is. I did wean her off of those other vitamins after the bladder stone affair and now give her half of an Oxbow vitamin. Weaning was tough since the sweetness of the old ones was a real draw. After months of hiding the vitamin in raisins, blueberries, etc., she will now take them plain.

It has been a year and I have maintained her on the 25 mg/day dose. She gets a good diet but is in the "senior pig" category now...so it seems to be a good approach for her. I am sure others have alternate good working regimens for their pigs.

I hope she is doing better. I always feel that the piggies that have a rough go of it need an extra dose of love. Thanks for giving this piggie the love she deserves!

InstantNoodles

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:09 pm

Lynx, I apologize if this is in the wrong thread. Maybe move it to Cavy Chat?

That aside I got a peek at her front teeth and ... they suck. The two top ones are skinny and one is longer than the other. I can't really see the bottom ones. She started crying (almost like quietly weeping if she was a human) when I propped her up with her back against my tummy so I could cut her toenails. She started frantically licking me as I was attempting to gently cut her toenails.

Also while looking at this cage, it has a wire mesh "second floor" with a wire mesh ramp. I wonder if she caught her rear leg on that ramp on the way down. If they put the food up there, she'd have no choice but to go up there to eat and if injured, wouldn't be able to get to her food supply, other than the hay. She walks on her legs sort of like stilts and her front paws are what she pulls with while she scoots, but are not as sensitive as my other pigs. They are somewhat sluggish and fumbly in response. She does however seem more like a piggy today. She talks to herself and roots around in her hay. Her old poos were nearly weightless and you could see grass in them. Her new poos today were 85% like a normal black poo. Pretty good shape, no mucus, not overly dry and I caught her eating one of her cecal pellets (yay!) I wasn't sure how she'd accoplish that but she did. She is awfully sweet and gives a ton of kisses, much to my husband's delight.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:21 pm

Very encouraging. I hope she does okay!

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:52 am

It's heartbreaking people keeping their animals like this. When a pig that belonged to a colleague of my mum's lost the use of his back legs through jumping the vet gave him a steroid injection to try and reduce any swelling and then Hamish had daily hydrotherapy in a washing up bowl. He did eventually regain the use of his legs.

I hope little Peanut/Polly/Nadia thrives with you and fiance.

InstantNoodles

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:55 pm

Some good news today, she's standing on one her legs. It appears it's still a little draggy but she had it mostly hunched under her as she should. The one leg is still 100% behind her all the time but I noticed she's sort of propped it up like a stilt and shoves herself forward. She keeps picking up hay and putting it back down. I'm not sure if this is a game to her or what. 2 days ago she ate approximately 1/2 cup of pellets (!) however she hasn't really eaten all that many since then. She never finishes her lettuce either. She'll eat maybe half - 2/3 and then give up. One eye appears bulgy (instead of both like when we got her). I'm calling the vet tomorrow morning to get her an appointment.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:05 pm

Yay!

Lovemypig

Post   » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:05 am

This poor girl. I'm so glad you have her now. I hope everything gets sorted out at the vet's tomorrow.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:54 pm

It sounds like she may have more than one problem, but all treatable. Good luck to her and to you. Let us know what the vet says.

InstantNoodles

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:21 am

She has an appointment for next week and she now has a name as well! I've decided to name her "Emma." I've noticed why she doesn't finish her lettuce. Because of her crooked front teeth she has an awful time cutting up pieces to eat, so if I tear it up for her she polishes it all off voraciously. This also explains her preference for pellets over Timothy. I've taken scissors and cut up the Timothy and we'll see if that makes a difference.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:31 pm

All the best pigs/people are called Emma :)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:01 pm

"Emma Guinea Pig, not a Cat!"

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:36 pm

Ewwwww Lynx!

38 posts