For the love of Pete! Ozzy's med thread

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:40 am

As I gave him his meds yesterday I noticed this spot on his eye in the morning. I tried gently wiping it, thinking it was gunk build up. I couldn't get it out so I left it alone hoping he would take care of it himself. Last night it was still there.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? I got the best shot I could but you still can't see how it's raised up, almost like a growth.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:02 pm

I have no answers for you, but I do hope he is ok. He is so handsome.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:09 pm

This morning it is worse.

It almost looks like it's erupting from the inside. Yuck

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:29 pm

I wonder if it's osseo-whatever (I can never remember the name). It's very common in older pigs. It usually encircles the eye, though. Painless and not an issue.

But sounds as if you should have a vet check it.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:46 pm

Yes, I am definitely going to get him in with Russell this week.

It doesn't appear to be bothering him at all. Only when I try to hold him down for pictures!

My poor ole' boy.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:48 pm

StF-both Lady Bug and I can attest to the saying "getting old sucks"! ;-)

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:24 pm

Fella and I second that emotion!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:54 pm

I'm sorry that Ozzy is worrying you even more, SlavetoFuzzy, but am so glad that he is not in pain.

I have not found a photo exactly resembling Ozzy's eye, but here are some links:

Lipid Deposit? In the eye?

white spot in eye... calcium deposit? (Moe)

Link to Calypso's photos of Osseous metaplasia

On many eye threads, I've noticed that Josephine recommends getting eye problems checked as soon as possible, especially if the problem is on the eye itself.

Hugs for Ozzy and Russell! :)
Last edited by Tracis on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Let us know what the vet says. Surprised to see it developing this way so quickly.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:32 pm

Peabody has a white spot in the corner of one of his eyes,, but it never has gotton larger. I am so sorry your piggies are keeping you hopping and stressing. I will keep them in my thoughts, and you.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:23 pm

tracis, you are the queen of links! Thank you again! I did a search earlier but didn't find near the photos you did. I don't know what I didn't do right.

Anyway, I am printing out info for my vet to read over. Hopefully it just looks bad. If it doesn't bother him I will not worry too much. I just don't want him to be in pain. He does not deserve that especially after his tough start in life.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:32 pm

Yes, don't you just want to hug her?
I imagine Tracis with a giant computer brain, filing everything away for a rainy day!