For the love of Pete! Ozzy's med thread

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:23 am

Why do these guys keep losing weight when we hand feed and I see him eating veggies and hay? Why? If someone fed me and I ate like that I'd gain another 30 pounds!

He's down under 700 gms today. He's been getting stinky bottom from laying in his pee. I've been giving him butt baths the last few days (he hates those). Trimmed his beautiful butt hair. He still stinks.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:47 am

I've got an appointment for him for Monday at 10. His quality of life is not what it should be. Poor little Oz man.

So, even though we know he has a stone would it still be helpful to us and other pigs to have a necropsy done?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:16 am

I'm so very sorry the time has come - I know how hard this must be for you.

In my opinion a quick gross necropsy is always potentially useful.

julbrock

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:19 am

Poor Ozzy ! And poor you :( This is terrible.

Is he moving around or just "laying in his pee." ?

My children's father had stones almost every summer, and would end up in the hospital on vacation :( But he always managed to pass them somehow. Ozzy's is too big to be passable, I guess. Nasty, horrible stones :(

Is he on pain killers? The necropsy is up to you, of course. Knowing the stone is probably the main issue (along w/ a little arthritis, but that isn't usually fatal), I'd be incline to leave it at that. Isn't a necropsy expensive? If it's anywhere near the same cost, I personally would go for another stone surgery instead. But that's just me. I know he's probably too weak now, too. Damn, this is so frustrating!

His quality of life has to be your main goal, tho. My stone-jinxed husband said stones were as painful as giving birth. Don't know if it's the same for piggies, but it can't be any fun.

Sweet Ozman will be in our thoughts all weekend. Comforting thoughts to you both <3 *heart*

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:24 am

You know that we are thinking of you and sweet Ozzy, and wishing for a miracle.

*hugs*

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:37 am

He only moves around if I pick up his pigloo. Then he goes and kicks Mr. Piggy out of the other one!

I do not want him to try and pass this stone. It's way to big.

He is on Metacam right now for the pain. But he just keeps losing weight and I think he's lost the will to continue on. He can't even lay down like he used to do. He just sits there hunched up. It's so sad watching him. I tried to get him in today but the vet is not working and the one at the office is not comfortable doing exotics. I would rather have his regular vet do it anyway-she's been with him from the beginning.

I don't know how much a necropsy will cost. I will speak to the vet about it on Monday. Not that it really matters. I just think if they can see anything else that was going on it may help my other guys later on (and by posting here perhaps help someone else).

It's all about the pigs you know! ;)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:41 am

If it's any help to you, I did have to have a pig euthenized by a non cavy-savvy vet. But I had him gassed down first so that he knew nothing when the deed was actually done.

If it's any comfort to you, I'm going through the exact same issue here at the moment - although I'm not dealing with stones. When the sparkle goes out of their eyes, and they're hunched like that, at least we have the ability to help them go peacefully.

julbrock

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:50 am

I am so sorry you are both going thru this. I know my time will come w/ Zack before too, long and tears roll down my face :(

You are both very courageous ladies & wonderfully care takers of your little loved ones. They are so fortunate to have you *sniff*

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:04 pm

I'm so sorry StF that Ozzy's time seems to have come. I agree with Mum that a gross necropsy just might help others. You have treated him so well all this time so it's only right you help him pass peacefully. Bless you as he's too sweet a boy to suffer any more than he has to.

I'll be thinking of you both this weekend.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Our house is with your house. :-(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:44 pm

I am so sorry for all of you who have guinea pigs nearing the end of their lives. It is just so hard to lose them.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:07 pm

I'm so sorry, STF. Ozzy is such a favourite. Nice to know he's still bossing Mr. Piggy around. Peace to you all.